1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R only giving 4.38 GB of space when copying film

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Vaioman, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Vaioman

Vaioman Member

When im copying any of my DVD 9 movies it only allows me to burn 4.38 GB max onto the disc.
    The film shrinks fine onto the HDD but when i go to burn it onto the disc it brings me up an error saying that there is not enough disc space available. I thought the available space for films on DVD+R was 4,464 GB?
    The blank media im using are Philips DVD+R - im thinking this issue might have something to do with the cheap burning software im using, its so cheap i cant remember the name!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those phillips discs aren't exactly the best.Using the higher quality media can save you a lot of problems down the road.Try some maxell's,sony,tdk,fuji,ty,or ritek, Preferably something made in JAPAN. Japan produces the best media.

Your backup target it too large.Most of us stay away from the 4464 mbs as our burn target. This can cause a lot of issues.
    What you need to do is reduce your backup target.Somewhere around 4300 to 4400 mbs. I use 4360 mbs.

The outer edge of dvdr media is suseptible to uneven dye,especially on poor media.This can give you problems when you play them. By reducing that target,you keep that burn from reaching the outer edge.

Cheap burning software that you are using?
    The majority of us use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter,they are cheap as you can get, FREE!!!
    Excellent programs and near perfect copies whether you are burning dvd-9 to dvd-5,or dvd-9 to dvd-9. Nero is also a very fine burning program that works great with dvd shrink.

Dvd shrink compresses those larger dvd-9 movies onto either dvd-5 or dvd-9 disc.

Dvd decrypter is a more powerfull ripper and it also has a burn engine that works with dvd shrink.

Nero is my choice of burning, dvd shrink can burn easily with nero or dvd decrypter. Just click the nero link for a free 30 trial if you wish to try it.Nero does conflict with a certain part of roxio,in case you have that program.

There are many guides in the guides forums and should be some links in the dvd shrink forum.

It's always handy have several different programs to rip and burn.

Good Luck

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Vaioman
    You were getting about what you were supposed to. In other words, you're just not getting the math involved.

4,464 MB = 4.359 GB, which is less than the 4.377GB capacity of a DVD5 disc. So, the 4.38GB you're getting is about max for a 4.7 GB disc. The difference is 1049000 bytes is 1 MB as your PC reads, whereas the people who sell the media list 1000000 bytes as an MB. So with the conversion the 4.7GB DVD5 disc only has a capacity of 4.3777... GB. (Repeating decimal, actually less than 4.38 which the figure is rounded up to.)

5. cgram7

cgram7 Member

6. Vaioman

Vaioman Member

thanks brobear - i forgot about that whole maths thing, the quality is still very good with 4.38 so im a happy chappy

7. sunup

sunup Regular member

Saugmon, You helped me out a lot about 3 weeks ago with the target drive. Since then Ive hade 100% burn success. You say Verbatim is good, but to be careful of were made . The verbatim that is adervitsed here 100 for 37.00 is this the one I want. Again Thanks for all the help.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello sunup, glad to see you are burning up a storm. Those 100 pack of verbatim at supermedia store for $37? That's after the rebate

They had the same ones at amazon.com a couple weeks ago for a few bucks less, I got 100 of the verbatim +8x's ordered. The +8x should code as mcc003 as other members have gotten them when I ordered mine.My first 50 pack spindle had 0 coasters and had no playback issues and re=ripping those backups were easy.Pretty good in all 3 of my burners.

I don't know about the verbatim -8x. I just had a burn error out of the 2nd disc of a 5 pack of -4x digital movie quality. I gave the other 3 away,lol

I'll stick with the +,I found 1 stand alone that won't play the -,at least not from my burner.I did get a batch of sony +1-8x made in japan that were made by ty.I'll be on them for a while. Later

9. brobear

brobear Guest

saugmon
    It would have been interesting to know who manufactured the Verbatim discs that caused the problem and you gave away. The same companies that make +R media also make -R. MCC is one of the manufacturers with a good rep. However CMC Magnetics also makes both + and -R Verbatim media. CMC is the one making all the Memorex everyone is now complaining about. Ricoh was another good manufacturer that made media for Verbatim in the past. So, even with Verbatim, it's a good idea to mention who made it.

Since Ricoh is a top manufacturer and from Taiwan, it is not possible to just say made in Taiwan is bad and made in Japan is good. Ritek is another of the good Taiwanese manufacturers and there are others. Taiwan has some of the best manufactured media on the market. They also have some of the worst. Seems the worst got top billing.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ive used 100s of verbatim 8x -R's (ive used -R from day one so will stick with them from now on). Mine show as made in taiwan but code as mcc 020 (can'r remember exact code). but anyway i've not had one singel bad burn/or jumpy movie with these. for me anyway i've learnt with DVDs that a good burn is no guarantee of a good disc. If i didn't love films so much i'd ditch dvd burning as have far more important things to do with my monies. but at least good media (so far) equals reliable movie

Rich

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That 5 pack i picked up at wal-mart were the -4x with the picture of the film spool. Coded mcc-01rg20,made in taiwan.My buddy prefers the dash format,I like the plus because of my other burner and tv home recorder are + only.

I use a lot of tiawanese media like ricohjpn,ritek,mcc-002,mcc-003,and sony d11. All are very good.All rip,burn,stand alones love them, and re-rips on the fly a breeze.Maxell -4x yellowtops and -8x gold tops seem to be pretty good when I get a hold of them on sale.

Just for looking on the wrapper for made in japan,I got 350 sony +1-8x that code as yuden000t02,pretty lucky. They also had the taiwan spindles:sonyd11/exact quantity/label/and same price mixed in with those ty's.

I'm always trying out different media.I stay away from memorex and store brand name media.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

You're right about the memorex. They ruined their rep when they went with CMC. A lot of people don't like it. I had one small batch and had more coasters than I'd ever had before. I can't be sure if it was the CMC media or software at the time. So, I just say CMC is questionable from my personal experience. The edges where the discs were bonded seemed to be rougher than others, so the physical aspect of the media appeared questionable to me as well.

Saugmon, since you're a +R fan. Fuji is another brand to check out. Recently they were selling Ricohjpn as the 4X offering and Taiyo Yuden as the 8X. I ended up with 100 of each and they're excellent quality. I just finished burning 100 of the 4X and I had only one coaster and that was software, not the media. What was burned to the disc played great, but it's a coaster when you only get the Menu and Extras and no movie. I'd definitely buy the Fuji again.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo brobear, I haven't had the opportunity to get any fuji or tdk's yet.I still have 300 sony ty's and just finally got my 100 pack spindle from amazon's -verbatim +8x sale last month.My home burner is + only,so trying out those ty's hopefully will work better.
    This benq will burn anything I slap in it. The few coasters I get are hardware issues. A new motherboard is on it's way and hope that takes care of that issue.
    I have yet to find a stand alone that won't play it's + format-good media,and only 1 stand alone that wouldn't play it's - format out of 15 players.100% burn rate on re-rips.I even had buddies at work who said their stand alone players will not play the + format- I proved them wrong when I gave him one of my backups.

I just got that I/o magic 16x burner that staple's has on sale for $40.I replaced my khypermedia +8x with it. I thought this would be the same burner I got 3 months ago there-which was made by benq for iomega.

NOT! This burner in same identical box and model # but nero tells me it's a 16x ide dvd-rw. So now I have to find what it likes.Using + and -,my "reliable" sony standalone has no problem with it. My lite on dvdrom does not recognize it's + burns,my apex will only play it's - burns,and my tv home burner won't play anything from it,lol

So far,the dash is working better from this new burner.It won't even recognize the ritek go4's I got. I will have to update the firmware later this week.

Just something different about that burn.

14. hursty

hursty Active member

you guys sure do a lot of burning

hehe

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Probably wouldn't be here if we didn't. LOL