1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or DVR+R which is better????

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by lejenkins, Dec 20, 2004.

1. lejenkins

lejenkins Member

In looking at DVD recorders (replacement for a VCR) I noticed some use the -R and some use the +R standard. Is one format better than the other (faster, more capacity, compatability)?

Thanks
    Larry

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Both have the same capacity, but supposedly, -Rs are more compatible with existing players. I use +Rs exclusively because I've never had any compatibility issues with them and do not see as many complaints about bad burns with +Rs as with -Rs. You can hedge yourself by buying a recorder that is compatible with both +Rs and -Rs.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I am with dogbomb, dual format is the way to go.But if I only have 1 choice,I would go with +. Seems like a lot of people here at AD are talking about + having an overall higher quality as apposed to - media being offered.Some stand alones may have problems playing your home dvd recordings,therefore, burning both formats will give you a little more flexibility on that issue. Later and happy holidays to all.

4. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  5. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Larry, I use borh formats with standalone dvd recorders and a burner.
    I started out with + but now have both formats.
    I can't see any difference at all in quality using + or - disks, except that many dvd players won't play + disks, so there is no doubt - is more compatible. In australia -r disks are cheaper.
    I have a sony gx3 dvd recorder, and whilst it records in both formats, it only allows VR recording on -rw disks, not +rw disks, for what reason I don't know.
    VR formatting allows on disk editing with rewriteable disks, a huge adantage. Consequently, my large stock of +rw disks aren't as useful as they might be.
    The Sony also doesn't support +R recording, but supports +RW recording. The main drawback of the Sony recorder overall is that it is very fussy about the brands it will format.
    The whole issue of DVD recorders is a veritable minefield, so choose carefully. If you can afford it purchase a recorder with a hard disk drive, the advantages are huge: you can record to HDD and edit to DVD.
    After much research i settled on a second recorder in the Pioneer 720H-S with a 160gig hard drive. It by far has the best features, although I have had it only a couple of days so cannot comment yet on any bugs or annoyances, however it seems to work fine.