1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or +R

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by RXV2300, Mar 30, 2007.

1. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Want to start to make back-up of xbox games but not sure if I should be using +R or -R.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

start with Verbatim 8X DVD-R and those should work fine
    DVD+R is ok too, but i only suggest those to people who have burners that can booktype because they may work and they may not.
    You can use 16X if that is all you are able to find. Stay away from the printable type as well.
    I have also used Sony, Philips and Taiyo Yuden

3. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Thank you for your input.
    What does book-type mean & what is it used for & when do I need to change book-type setting when & if necessary.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

booktyping (also called bitsetting) is a way that the burner makes your discs. It can only be done with DVD+R, and not all burners are able to do it.
    Basically, DVD-Rom is the format that a store bought game would be in, so if your burner can booktype, and you get good quality DVD+R media, then it will burn the disc so that it is very compatible with a game console.

But i used 8X DVD-R for quite a while and those will work just fine. Just get some good 8X DVD-R for now and worry about booktyping later when you know if your burner can do it.