1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FUTRIACO, Jan 4, 2005.

1. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

I AM USING ANYDVD AND CLONEDVD2 AND IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO BACK UP A DVD. IT TAKES ABOUT 40 MINUTES TO TRANSCODE ADN THEN 40 MINUTES TO BURN. IS THIS NORMAL? DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES FROM START TO FINISH USING DVDSHRINK AND NERO? I AM TALKING ABOUT NORMAL MOVIES (ONE HOUR AND A HALF TO 2 HOURS) ALSO IM HAVING PROBLEMS BURNING WITH MEMOREX DVD+Rs. IS IT THE MEMOREX DVD? WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND FOR MEDIA. (AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY SO THAT I CAN BUY IT QUICKLY) ANYONE PLEASE HELP A NOVICE HERE.

2. colw

colw Active member

Hey FUTRIACO turn of your caps lock - it is considered shouting and rude.

To answer your questions:

Encoding time can vary depending on the type of movie and your system specs - 15 to 40 minutes for encoding is around ballpark figures.

Burning at 4X should take approx 14-15 minutes. Your burning time appears far too long.

You need to go to your Device Manager and ensure that DMA mode is enabled.

If you are operating in PIO mode - this will slow your encoding/burning times considerably.

Memorex media tends to be of very variable quality and is not recommended by the majority of experienced members of these forums.

Suggested quality media include: Ritek, Verbatim or TY's.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Currently, +R in Fuji, TDK, Maxell, and Imation will net some decent media. I've gotten some of those from BestBuy. The same can't be said for the -R in some of the brands. System cleanup and maintenance (cleaning out adware, spyware and viruses) along with an occasional defrag can go a long way. Of course what colw said has a lot to do with system performance as well.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Oh yes, [bold]turn off the caps.[/bold]

5. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

I did not know about the caps, sorry.
    Could it be the burner? (cyberhome 162)

It seems that no matter what speed i choose from nero (2x,4x,8x) the burning time is the same. also, nero displays the remaining time left but that counter goes to zero and it keeps burning and then about 20% of the way through it ejects the disc and says error. i have tried tdk media and i get the same thing. when i try a dvd+rw (ritek) it works fine but the nero remaining time is still off.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  6. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

with the ritek dvd+rw it still takes around 40 minutes at 4X. I have burned cd-R discs with no problem at 40X. what could be the problem? i am returning the burner today unless i can find the problem. i have wasted about 20 dvd+r discs with this problem already.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmm. First we're asked for opinions on media and then told of burning probs and a possible bad drive... interesting. Then what do we think of your Cyberhome burner? I'd never heard of cyberhome before you brought up the name. I hadn't even seen it in advertisements.

2 things have a lot of effect on recording speeds; DMA and system resources. Are the PC drives DMA on and what system are you using and what's the specs? We need to know about the system and configuration before being able to draw any conclusions. Right off, I'll say that I wouldn't buy an unknown burner.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

9. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

it was the burner. i returned it and got a sony dru-710 and it works magic. it burns flawlessly and burns memorex 8x at 12x with no problems. i have backed up about 7 movies and no problems at all.

brobear; it had the latest firmware installed but thanks for the heads up anyways....sorry if i was all over the place with the problems but i have a garbage can full of bad dvd's now.

about memorex; i have no problems with them although i bought another pack of tdk's to be on the safe side. like i said i can burn the memorex 8x at 12x with no problems with my sony burner.

thanks for the suggestions....it was just a bad burner although reviews on other sites say its a good burner but for $50 after rebates..too good to be true.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

As I said, not enough info on a little known brand to draw a conclusion. You even have to be careful about brands like sony. They were selling Optorite drives under their brand. You can't put down all of Sony because of some questionable drives. However, I am often doubtful when it comes to inexpensive items by unknown companies.

Memorex media, that ones questionable if you check around the forums. Check out CMC, their main manufactdurer. TDK depends on the manufacturer as well. TDK sells media made by several top manufacturers as well as that of their own manufacture. I'm not familiar with the TDK manufactured disc, but Ricoh, Mitsubishi, Philips and TY are all reputed to be top manufacturers.

[bold]Just because you can burn fast doesn't mean you need to.[/bold] Many people when recording DVD video don't go over 4X. Writing errors are more likely to occur at the higher speeds. The few extra minutes for a slower burn is insurance in the completion of a recording that sometimes takes hours. I always give it those few extra minutes myself and make the slower, more sure burn.