1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ttugrad95, Jan 2, 2004.

1. ttugrad95

ttugrad95 Member

OK, I have been trying to find an answer to this and many people have somewhat posed this question but people have kind of danced around the answer.
    I am very new to DVD copying and have successfully copied several. I have a 61' HDTV with a JVC progressive scan DVD player. The copied movies do look good but my question is this:
    My DVD player has an auto progressive scan mode and when it is playing a DVD capable of progressive scan a light on the front comes on. Now I don't know what exactly makes a DVD progressive scan but is it possible to copy a DVD and retain the progressive scan capabilities? They just look that much better on a HDTV.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

progressive scan is a feature of the dvd player and not of the dvd itself. it is a matter of the data available. the video image usually has more data than the monitor it is shown on (480i) so it will be 480p. hd monitors are usually 720p or 1080i. it may be a matter of the compression that is applied to the dvd whether or not it has enough info.

Soon we may see hd-dvd which will require larger capacity dvd's