1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-r questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DogPyro, Dec 27, 2004.

1. DogPyro

DogPyro Member

1. What should I do with scratched dvd's?

2. Like PS2 backups do i need to burn my movies as slow as possible?

3. Is it always the standard to burn as slow as possible? Can I at least burn data on dvd's as quick as possible? I'm very new to dvd burning. But the trend from what I read is to burn as slow as you can...

2. john179

john179 Active member

DogPyro is all down to your own preference's but this is how i see it.

1.Scratched disk can be sent off for repair but it can be expensive.You try something like dvdxcopy recovery.How ever depends on how badly they are damaged.

2.I back up my ps2 games at x8 speed and never have a problem with them.

3.Dvd films are best burnt at x4 speed as there is less chance of the film freezing at lower speed.

4.Normal data disk's i tend to burn at all sorts of speeds.The more Data involved the slower i normally burn.

Some may have different opinions these are just what work for me.I hope this helps you a little on your learning.Most of what you ask will come with time and your own experiences.

3. DogPyro

DogPyro Member

Thank You for replying

Will scratched dvd's just be unable to be read? Are there
    any methods to make it more readable or settings I can add to software?

If dvd burns at higher speed are undependable in what situations do u use high burn speeds?

4. sghost

sghost Member

so your saying its not good to burn movies at 8x because i have just changed my media from the standard 4x to the 8x dvd-r media im using prodisc also to i was wondering what is the best dvd player i should get for my living room so i can watch my backups of my purchased movies one more thing as well i am looking to purchase a new internal or either an external burner i need to know which one is the best one to purchase that is compatable with most blank if not all dvd-r media
    thank you

5. john179

john179 Active member

DogPyro
    Your lazer in your burner wiil pick up the smallest of errors and some software like dvdxcopy rescue the disc.If it is to bad then there is not much you can do with it yourself.Although it may still plat in your dvd player or something.Burning at high speeds is something you will learn to judge yourself by trial and error.I would not burn movies at high speeds though.

sghost
    Purchasing a dvd player all depends on what you want from it.Personally for some reason i find the cheaper ones which have been made in places like Japan work bloody good.I paid £50 for a bush dvd player which plays everything mp3 vcd dvd svcd and it has never let me down.The second one i have is a cheap make to and is great as well.Can't remember the name of the one but it's been made in the asia or some where like that.For a dvd writer i would say you can't go wrong with a pioneer 108.Many people i know swear by them.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

i would say its the other way around,slow for ps2 games,faster allowance for movies.
    you can buy repair kits for damaged dvd's,sainsburys have one for £5!!
    i have pioneer 108,cost me £55.excellent,nec3500 is also highly rated.
    cheap dvd players are better,they will play anything.mine cost £29,(also a bush)the more expensive systems tend not to play some backups.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

8. john179

john179 Active member

hursty i always keep me burns slow for movies so it will help not to cause any slight freezes which can happen when wrote to fast.Ps2 i have never really had a problem burning them at any speed really.Movies are normally a little more tempermental.

9. hursty

hursty Active member

i will agree to disagree!!! after all,what do i know,look at the football team i am stuck with.!!!regards hursty

10. john179

john179 Active member

Haha nice one hursty someones got to support them mate.It wouldn't be fair on Gary Liniker if he was the only fan hehe.As for the burning speeds it's more about what works for each individual.Some get away with burning all at high speeds and never have a problem so there is not really a right and wrong speed.Mind you i'm never wrong you only have to look at the team i chose to follow from being a kid.
    Hahaha.