1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r read help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by macksimus, Sep 26, 2004.

1. macksimus

macksimus Member

hi im new to forum so i hope this is the right section, i apoligise if its not..

I have a philips dvd+rw drive

and my friend burnt me a dvd-r

i cant get it to read on my machine.... is their any way i can get it to read

cheers

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Is the disc your friend burned the only one that doesn't read or is this a common occurrence with this drive?

Will the problem disc play in any other drives/PCs?

3. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Hey macksimus,

I'm newbie too. Someone will confirm this but I'm 95% sure that DVD+RW drives are not compatible with DVD-R discs. Only way you'd get one to work is to kindly ask your friend to do another copy for you but put it on DVD+R media this time. Maybe buy some for him and yourself being the good friend he is :)

[bold]EDIT: k, I'm wrong aren't I guys? So much for newbies helping other newbies, ha ha :)[/bold]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Paul L
    Liverpool, UK[/small]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  4. Nephilim

You're absolutely correct alfapaul.

You picked up on the key fact that I overlooked! I may need you to follow me around if I keep missing things like this :p

A -R will not play in a +R drive (and vice versa) and there's no way around it.

5. macksimus

macksimus Member

cheers guys, ive just spent last couple of days trying to download stuff which may be able to make it combatible.. obviously none of the stuff worked..

its just that i got a bunch of imation dvd+rws and on the back of the boxes it says whats compatible with what and its got a tick under a dvd+rw to read a dvd-r , but obviously not able to write??

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Nephilim... are you sure about that? I've never tried but DVDInfoPro says that my +RW drive will read -R and -RW discs. And if you are right then why is infopro lying to me?

7. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

That's why I edited my posts guys coz I found a table that states a DVD+RW drive can read both -R and +R. Here's the link:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1

Above link takes short while to load, if any probs, omit the #4.3.1 and select question 4.3.1 from list at the top.

[bold] Nephilim I'll follow you round don't worry bud ;) Doubt I'll be too much help but ya never know [/bold]

Hope someone can clarify once and for all,

Cheers
    Paul
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Paul L
    Liverpool, UK[/small]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  8. Nephilim

I'm freakin' retarded. I think I need everybody to follow me around and correct my senseless "way to late at night to be trying to think" posts!

The best thing to do is use DVD Info Pro or Nero Info Tool to determine what formats your your particular drive will read or write to.

I've really bad juju with this thread so I'll leave it to you experts now :p