1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r reading problem with pioneer 106

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by GIII, Jan 30, 2005.

1. GIII

GIII Member

My pioneer dvd/rw drive has at some point in the last 2 weeks stopped reading some dvd-r disks my friend gave me. I have 6 dvd's, all burned on the same pc, with the same software,(I assume) on the same media, and at the moment my drive only will admit that 3 of them are useable disks. My guess is it has to be a software problem somewhere, because 2 of the duds worked a few weeks ago.
    i have tried everything i can think of, from the lense cleaner to re-installing windows,(scandisk, defrag, virus/spyware/adware scan,un- and re-installing the drive, updating the firmware, re-installing the dvd player software)and i'm out of things to try.
    So, anyone have a secret make it all better code i can type in, or some kind of voodoo curse lifter i can try? Arrrgghh!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What brand media are the trouble makers? Some cheap/poor quality media (example-Memorex) will degrade after a few months causing bad playback or no playback. Thats one of the problems with bad media. Some won't burn right, others burn, then start to degrade to the point where they are useless. I hope this isn't your problem but it could be.

Jerry

3. GIII

GIII Member

I'm not sure what brand these are, they seem to be unmarked other than a tiny dvd-r 4x 4f063 on the back side.
    no luck so far, I took one of the "duds" over to my moms house and it worked in her dvd rom drive just fine, so i guess the next step is to yank the drive and toss it in the wife's pc and see if it reads them in there. Of course if they work in her pc, i have no clue what to do about it. D'Oh!

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Updating Pioneer firmware on some systems resets the IDE channels to PIO from DMA. Go to your device manager and check the IDE controllers, they should be set to DMA. That may help with the reading some but this is just a guess.

Jerry

5. GIII

GIII Member

well i yanked her out and put her in the wife's pc and got the same results. So in frustration i tore the damn thing apart and cleaned it all out the best i could, put her back together, and now she works. must have had some peice of dust in just the right(wrong) spot or something. so i guess we have a happy ending, and something to be said for a darn good cleaning out when all else fails.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Dust and dirt are a NO NO. Not good on the discs, not good inside the drive. Glad you got it going.

Jerry