1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RalphZero, Feb 10, 2005.

1. RalphZero

RalphZero Member

What is the difference between these two? Why should I use one over the other. I do realize that DVD-R is more compatible with lesser priced DVD Players. Anything will play a DVD-R but not a DVD+R. If that's the case, then why do DVD+R exist at all. What is the purpose of them? Why should I buy them. What are the technical differences between the two. Is one better than the other. If so, then why?

I purchased DVD+R because that's what COSTCO had. COSTCO had a panasonic DVD Player for $50.00, but it would not play DVD+R. I had to go with the Sony for 70.00. It will play anything (DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW).

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Difference between + and -.Not much, Usually the stand alone players are going to tell you which format/or both that they will play.

The quality can vary between + and -. You take 8x teon media,for example. You look at the display at a local staples store and see they have +8x and -8x teons,same quantity-near identical packaging-and the same price"20 pack". Those + teons turns out to be made by ricohjpn01"pretty good" and those - teons were made by c-magnetics,"crap".This is a very huge quality difference.The same thing can happen in almost every major brand name/generic/and store brand name media.The same applies when you switch quantities,different manufacturers for 10 pack,25 pack,and 50 packs of the same name brand.

Just because a dvd player lists as playing dvd +/dvd -or both,it may not. It can also be the opposite. I have proven many players that weren't suppose to support + or - and got them to actually play them.

I play my backups on many stand alone players,ps2's,2 pcs,and a tv home burner. My sony stand alone player is what I play most of them on.If it don't play my backups as near as the original-then something is majorly wrong.I burn mostly + format because all of these will play them.I do mess around with the dash format.My dad's dvd player"sherwood" is the only stand alone player that will not play the dash format,at least the ones produced by my benq.The other at least 15 players will play those +.

That's why there is usually not much of a difference between both formats,those stand alones will tell you which one they prefer. They will even tell you if you are burning too fast or don't like a particular media. Using high quality media and a 4x burn speed prevents a lot of those stand alone issues, just search these forums.Lots of members having trouble watching their own backups.

Usually the newer,cheaper dvd players will play just about everything on + and -. The $200 players are the ones that don't want to play them.

Sorry if i didn't answer the rest of your questions. Sony developed the dvd- "dash" format. Other manufacturers didn't want to pay sony the rights to use dash format,so they developed the plus. It all comes down to $$$$ on those formats.

This is the main reason why a dual format burner is needed.You have more flexibility to find which format your stand alone players will play.