1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r what's the point ?..........waste of time....

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by SGDVD, Apr 2, 2004.

1. SGDVD

SGDVD Guest

dvd-r !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the insult forum !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2004
  2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I guess you are in the wrong place then.
    bye

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Well, Blu-Ray media for one: Is going to cost $3,000 USD for the burner. Then, each "disk" is going to cost roughly $30 USD. So, for that same price, you could burn 30 DVD-R's and get a 16x burner (When they are released) and save yourself @ least $2,000 USD. Also, if you use AnyDVD (or DVD43, in combo w. DVD Shrink) all you have to do is select the stuff you want to keep/get rid of and, after doing a deep analisys (to improve quality), Shrink can AUTOMATICLY burn the DVD (if you are using Nero). The whole process only takes maybe 10 clicks of the mouse then, you walk away and, Shrink can backup the movie w. no intervention from you.

4. Evilights

Evilights Member

SGDVD, you really make some good points.... oh wait no you don't. Instead you sound more like an ignorant idiot who is jealous because he either can’t afford it or doesn't understand it. Looks like you have done about little to no research before trying to attack most of the people that visit this site. I've been burning DVD±Rs for a few years and I have yet to have one go bad. Also I have a 65" TV that seems to play burned DVDs with very decent quality, so let me ask where exactly you got your facts from since it's blatantly obvious you don't have a DVD burner. Hey here's an idea, next time you post an attack of any sort try to have some actual facts to back up your claims. It's always nice to have some validity to your accusations. Btw I hate to break this to you some DVDs you buy are actually what they call DVD5 and can be copied at a 1:1 ratio (DVD5 means single layer, thought I'd better explain that to you since you don't seem to have a clue).

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

blah-blah-blah-blah- I think you need to take your agression out on the SAFETY VALVE forum.

It appears you'v been hear for awhile so why so much hatred towrds back-ups---you had to of posted and answerd sombody's question's Mr.SGDVD

go work your overtime and spend $3,000 and let us know how it work's.

6. SGDVD

SGDVD Guest

dvd-r - 100 year life........yeah keep dreaming.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2004
  7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive been reading some of his posts,he has a crappy attitude, just because he cant do his backups without freezing and pixelation.I see alot of questions from you but not many answers in your posts(lots of cuss words and plenty of bad attitude)

I have a 65 inch hdtv and i have a hard time telling the difference from the backups.
    ok im done wasting my time on you sgdvd,why dont you go wander out in traffic and do us all a favor

8. Evilights

Evilights Member

Just because that was my first post doesn't necessarily make me a newbie on the DVD±R scene (only means I finally had a reason to post something, too bad it was on a fool like you). I hadn't realized the amount of posts one had decided weather or not they had knowledge. And just because I'm burning DVD±Rs doesn't make me a pirate. I have a lot of video equipment, I like to record my children as they grow up and I like to record my television shows to DVD. You are quite a sad little person SGDVD. I hate to have to keep pointing out the obvious to you but since you seem to have such a feeble mind, did you notice that you too are a junior member? And since you didn't seem to read my earlier post, maybe you can go back and read it now. I believe I said I have been burning DVD±Rs for a few years and have yet to have one go bad. Next time you have something negative to say, do us all a favor and just don't say it. Now I too am done wasting my time on you.

9. SGDVD

SGDVD Guest

hd tv to play dvd-r !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

logic please ?

10. SGDVD

SGDVD Guest

keep biting till mamma says bedtime.

11. b4dust

b4dust Member

i don't care dvd or blue ray. i use what ever is currently available knowing the next thing would be years away. cassettes, cds, dvds, blue-rays and something even greater i don't know now but am sure to occur in the fure. the grgeat techonology. the great never ending progress of technology.

12. mangis

mangis Member

SGDVD you are a dickhead. People said the same thing you are saying when CD-R came out and now it is the acceptable standard. You have to allow technology to mature. And going on about all this blu-ray shit, the stuff is already outdated. Why aren't you bagging blu-ray and promoting all the newer technologies. And of course you'll get shit results from spindle discs, they are the lower grade stuff. You are such and ignorant fusking moron its a wonder your mother didn't shoot you at birth.

13. drchips

drchips Active member

Oh WOW!!

I love these kind of threads, so vibrant; can I join in??

[bold]SGDVD:[/bold]
    A very good and perfectly valid question, I shall attempt to answer that for you.
    Simply because you don't see the point does not mean that recordable DVD is automatically sh*t, as you put it.
    If you use crap, then the results will be crap - why is it when SOME people CHOOSE to use sub-standard and the results are not to their OVERLY HIGH EXPECTATION, then it is the fault of the industry/world and never THEIR fault for making CRAPPY DECISIONS???
    Classic crap media syndrome and/or lack of research into compatability.
    Classic crap media syndrome - I only use Archival Quality media (Verbatim Advanced Metal AZO at the moment), and have been doing so for a number of years (since the first Pioneer DVD Writers came out), the data backups I made from then are still readable with NO ERRORS, they are checked twice a year for integrity.
    Good point, as long as you can still get another copy.
    Some people simply ENJOY it!!
    Some people want to play with the film (editing chapters, adding deleted scenes etc).
    Some people just HATE having to watch the FBI warning screen, pre-trailers, advertising crap and lots of the other rubbish that can be found on the vast majority of Original DVDs.
    Some people enjoy the challenge of doing it.
    Some people do it just because they can.
    Yeah, Right!!
    What about the HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of DVD players around the world that will not be able to play the blu-ray disks?
    Are they all going to be scrapped?
    Do you honestly think the major studios are going to cut off DVD distribution just like that? and kill their major cash-cow?
    Methinks a tap with the reality stick might be in order here ;)
    Undoubtably so, but it will take YEARS for it to become the market leader (compare mobile phones and landlines, or VHS and DVD, or cars and horses)
    I agree whole-heartedly with you on that.
    But then again, if you are EXPECTING perfection you are in for a BIG SHOCK or you are on a different planet from the rest of mankind - nothing is perfect!!
    Oooohh! That is Sooo tempting!!!!!
    YOU have had bad experiences,
    YOU have had frustration,
    YOU are UNABLE to achieve what you desire,
    YOU have been UNABLE to get it right,
    YOU have CHOSEN to ignore the evidence of THOUSANDS of other people who CAN achieve all that you seem incapable of,
    YOU have therefore deemed it all crap and cannot understand what the point is, and therefore EVERYONE ELSE must be wrong!!!!

Wow!!

Does the world REALLY revolve around you?

I must be immune to getting dizzy then !LOL!
    Hahahaha!!!
    As if anyone could "own" a thread....

BTW, take note:
    SENIOR MEMBER :eek:

Byeeeee....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*EDIT* the doc beat me to it and said it much better than I :D
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  15. oboe

oboe Guest

SAT AT WORK WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO!

WHAT A CRACKING THREAD THANKS ALL!! ;-)

16. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

and so endeth yet another storming sermon by the right reverend Doc..........AMEN!!!!!!!

17. aelwero

aelwero Member

Hey! I'm not the only smart person in the world :) I got DLP projector right after I got back from Iraq, it's absolutely awesome. If you don't mind darkening your living room (We use heavy curtains), then it's like having a 12 foot TV screen. We got an infocus X1 for the contrast ratio and lamp life, been watching movies and TV on it for over a year now and haven't even used half the lamp life yet. I definetely agree on the "being cheap" aspect of it too lol, big screen TV.. $5,000 or so, DLP projector.. $999, watching movies the size of your wall.. (I can't say it, I HATE those ads lol) and as for the point of DVD-R... do you KNOW how much disney DVD's cost, and do you understand the amount of damage 2 pre-teen girls can do in about 5 minutes... a backup costs me under $5, including an extra case, and replacing a $5 backup is way better than replacing a $20 (at LEAST) Disney movie. (yeah yeah, I could just not replace the ones they scratch to death, but I love my heathens and spoil em rotten)

18. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

sorry SGDVD, but backups I made more than two years ago still work perfectly well. No pixilation from from the compression scheme I use. And EVERY backup I've made looks awsome on my FD Trinitron Vega...

19. alseides

alseides Guest

SGDVD: Looks like you are obviously incorrect and outspoken. First of all, there ARE a lot of unreliable media and burners (or "etc", whatever that is) but due to lack of your research (like many have mentioned), those are just your bad experiences; if you even have any experience at all. Using high quality media and good burners (there ARE plenty) you can practically burn with no errors if you know how.

Concerning the price, if you really are that conservative, I would say that you can get top of the line OEM drives for a little over 100 USD if you know where to look. You can also get the highest quality media available for approximately .80 cents each if you buy in bulk. (Even packs of 50 or 100)

After one year your DVDs will play exactly as they did when you first burned them. Damaged discs (just like everything else you own) are not really an issue if you know how to keep them in good condition. Pixilation? Like mentioned in other posts, if you know what to do there is no real issue either.

However, if you don't like compression whatsoever and want PERFECT copies, why not wait for dual layer burners that can burn DVD9? (you know what that is, right?) They are hitting the market in a few months. That way, you will be able to make perfect 1:1 copies of dual layered DVDs. No compression needed, since everything fits.

DVDs will not get outdated soon, even after Blu-Ray is accepted. DVDs will still be a standard - considering the millions of consumers currently using this technology. It is too large an industry for consumers and sellers that it will not just get dropped. DVDs will live even with Blu-ray well adopted. There is just no question in my mind this is true. But I'd have to say I seriously can't wait ‘til Blu-ray comes out!

However when you say Blu-ray is just "around the corner"... you are probably referring to a

REALLY BIG CORNER.

Ok lets say, or example, that DVDs will die out in the future. That future is still far away enough that ANY investment in either single layer or soon to come dual layer DVD burner is still a good buy, considering these factors: the lifespan of DVDs, the affordability, the quality of the video (perfect quality for dual layer).

That's all I have to say, hopefully I didn't repeat too much of what has already been said, but I just couldn't help it. DVDs are not going to be history, only you and your posts. I actually thought your post was some April Fools' joke or something, but obviously its the 2nd now and you (sadly) really are serious.

20. alseides

alseides Guest

I have a newbie status by my name, but that is only because I had to register just to respond to your post.