1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R wont play in my dvd palyer but worked in my friend palyers

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Lord_Ric, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

Hi folks

I'm kinda new here and not particuly familiar with forums but I have a problem and I figure you can maybe help me with it.

I burned DVD's and my dvd player cant read them. To ,ake sure my dvd player was not the problem ,I took ths same movie and went to my frien's place to try it in his dvd player... and it worked just fine in his. I took a dvd he burned (using the same software I'm using wich are shirnk dvd 3.2 and nero6), went back home and try his dvd-r in my player and it worked... the player read the dvd just easily as if it was an original dvd.

Why a dvd-r wich I burned will be playable in my friends dvd player but not in mine and why the dvd my friend will make are working just fine in my player?

I've checked the compatibility of the media/hardware/player and everithing seems fine but I can't make the dvd I burned played in my DVD player.
    I'm using: nero 6
    shrink DVD 3.2
    my dvd burner is BenQ DW1620
    my dvd player is a toshiba SD-2800

Help me please... I'm kinda desperate

PS: If this topic have already been answered, I apologise for asking this question and I would apreciate if I could be redericted to the proper topic.

Best regards

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

is the burner you have and the burner he has the same? (and firmware!)

and are the apps used the same version?

Thx..

3. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

No the burners are not the same.

And what's the "apps"?

Sorry for all these basic questions but i'm not familiar with these terms. I also navigate the forum to find a solution and the term "media" po-up quite often. Maybe my problem is with the media but once more, what is a "media"?

Thx for the help

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

well if burners arnt the same it could be that! also media is the dvdr, cheapo ones suck, need some good disc/media...

app are programs used! are they same version lik nero v6.6.6.0 this could be the problem?

if you say discs your mate burns play on yours and his and your disc only play on his, and the media is the same then its got to be the burner or apps/programs thats left!

pity you cant try his burner in your pc! if the software used is the same for both pc's

5. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

If I try another burning soft, can it solve the problem? If it's a possibility, wich soft would you recomand?

Is there any other tests I can run to find out where the problem is located or should I resign myself and buy another dvd player?

Thx for the help

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi Folks--
    I was just reading this thread and am thinking--Will your burner/player work with DVD+R?--Rotary--could that make a difference? Obviously, Lord_Ric should get some high quality disks--and the worst case is having to buy a new DVD player--I bought 2 Coby stand-alone DVD players for $25 each and they play anything--buying a couple more as gifts for friends that like to borrow my DVD's and their players will not play my burned DVD's. Just thinking that some players prefer (+) media so if your burner/player supports it why not give it a try? OK, just thought I would chime in--have a great day!

Whitfield

7. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

Thx for the idea Whitfield but my dvd player support DVD-R. The first few tests where made with DVD-R burned by 2 difrent burners and both movies worked just fine in my DVD player.

Can it be something in the softwares settings I forgot to check/uncheck? If its a setting problem, why the copys I make her worked perfectly in my friends DVD players?

I must admit... i'm totaly lost here... help... mayday... sos...

8. djlen

djlen Regular member

Hey, I'm a rank amateur/newbie at this as well, but I just went through the same issue.
    I was burning onto Sony DVD-R and getting the same failure you are experiencing. I had some Fuji Film DVD-RWs here so I tried one of them and it burned and played just fine.
    I was advised, on this forum, that some DVD media simply doesn't work in some players. So I went and picked up a small pack of Fuji DVD-Rs and they have all burned and played fine.
    I'm not saying that Fuji is the answer for your problem, but I would try a few different brands(good quality media) and you will find one that will work for you. That is, provided you follow the guides available on this site TO THE LETTER when you set up your software applications.
    I would think that if your reader or burner was bad, your disc would not have played in your friends player.

Len

9. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

Thx for the tip len I will try it right away. I also read something related to "the media code" and it seems to be the problem for some people but I just cant figure where to verify if the media code is set.

Onceagain, thx for te help

10. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Lord_Ric --
    Sorry to say but I don't think it is a question of burning software--they all burn the same way (at least that is what I have been told by people who would know) Original disks are "pressed" so they play in all players--copies are burned as you know--the type of software used to burn will not help--I would buy a new "cheap" stand alone DVD player--almost all of them will play burned disks--it is only the older (more than 2-3 years old)that have problems sometimes--
    wish anyone could help you more, but I don't think so--

Whitfield

11. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

Ok thx ppl, you cleared out most of my doubts. I'll just keep testing but if someone had a genius flash, feel free to let me know lol.

Thx again

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i use and recommend ripping with dvd decrypter and compressing with dvd shrink and output back to dvd decrypter to burn in iso (you see this setting when backup is clicked in shrink!) just try these apps now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then change media as said some discs dont like some players!

but i use ANV / RITEK / RIVISION / RIDISC (all GO4 or GO5 ID codeing! most GO5 8x burnt at 4x!) this lot plays in 20 / 30 standalones !

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

also if you have some discs to waste? try these settings in nero! it changes the UDF file system for compatibilty, maybe even click compatbilty for XBOX it may work?!?!?!?!

dont use ADD-Video settings! the picture needs a folder made called VIDEO_TS spelt like that! place all files of bup/ifo/vob inside.

[​IMG]

this way need to try 5 discs! for testing... the picture is the normal setting! but not sure the normal setting in nero burnt this way may work? may be slighty different to useing ADD-Video

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  14. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

OK thx Rotary... I'll try it right away.

15. sucka13

sucka13 Guest

hey man try going into the edit in dvd shrink go to Preferences change the dvd size in the custom dvd to 4440mb this should help u i had the same problem to and i found that my home dvd player needed a stop point via the black finalalization line on burnt disc some times if u leave it as dvd5 under tere preff it will read it sometimes not by doing this change to 4440 ur player will have a stop point on the disc and should load it right up!!!!

i had the same problem and changed it to 4440mb and now every back up works fine i hope that this helps u out man !!!

Peace

16. Lord_Ric

Lord_Ric Member

Finally, it worked

After I'vre tried everything you suggested to me(many, many thanks by the way) without result, I went back to the store and bought a couple of dvd trade marks wich I havent tried yet(kodak, Sony, Mitsumi...)and it seems that with the quality of my burner combine with the age of my dvd player, I can burn DVD only on Sony and Mitsumi DVD(benq dvds wont even work). I also tested the results of my try out at my friends place and EVERY dvd I burned so far worked just fine in their dvd player.

So thx for your help and the solutions you've proposed to me, it will help in the futur I'm prety sure.

Thx alot ppl... I hope I will be able to help you back sometimes.

Cya

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  17. sucka13

sucka13 Guest

No Problem