1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R ??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nvious100, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Nvious100

Nvious100 Member

All the guides and info I have read says to use DVD-....why?...can I use DVD+??? what is the real difference?

2. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I use + myself I guess it all comes down to preference. What ever you choose. At first my NEC only burned + Then I swicthed to a pioneer 109 now burns both. I had bought 200 +'s so that's what I use. Never a problem yet. I don't think their is any difference. ---zen-->

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Physically there is a difference, but it all boils down to preferance and compatability. Dvd-r used to be the most compatable format, but with newer players it usually doesn't make any difference. Dvd+r booktyped dvd-rom is the most compatable of the three.

4. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Remember all the guides were pretty much written when all there was was DVD-R. A common misconception about DVD-R and DVD+R is that neither format is bad or one better than the other. What you do use is based upon your recorders capabilities and your personal preference. It is true as I have poseted several times before that DVD+R with the Book Type set to DVD-ROM will give you the best compatability but if your player can read either -R or +R then there is no need to even set the book type. The only advantage of using a DVD+R is that you can edit directly on disc (must be a +RW) if you are doing a lot of editing of home grown stuff. All other diferences are subtle like synch of cache and finalising. Techno stuff most people don't know or care about. DO NOT use a DVD-R with the book type set to DVD-ROM though, your player will look at it as a data disc and not play it at all.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  5. Nvious100

Nvious100 Member

Hey thanx for the heads up!!

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You are welcome. Burn on and good luck.

Mort