1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD read speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by spikezor, Jun 21, 2004.

1. spikezor

spikezor Member

So, i just got a NEC 2510A burner, and a Samsung DVD-Rom. For the first like 15 copy's it took about 10-15 minutes to read the DVD , then like 10-15 more to copy it. For some reason now, the same discs take about 50 mins to read, and then 10-15 to copy. Any thoughts on why all of a sudden the read time would greatly increase? Or just anyway to speed up the read time.

2. Manngo

Manngo Member

Check DMA:
    In your BIOS go to advanced features and you find DMA enabled/disabled switch. It should be enabled.
    In device manager go to IDE cannels and choose the channels, that is connected to your Samsung. In properties/advanced you find something like 'Data mode'. It's value can be selected from a list. Pio or DMA. If not selected, select DMA.
    Let us know, if this helped.

3. spikezor

spikezor Member

I couldn't find the DMA settings in my bio's anywhere. And the secondary ide was set to PIO for some reason, so i put it back on "DMA if available" so far it seems to help a little, but, it's not like it originally was yet. Keep throwing other options my way if u can think of them.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If the drive keeps resetting to PIO it may help to uninstall the drive through Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows detect and install the drive.

6. spikezor

spikezor Member

Thankx, in the device manager, it still says the current mode is PIO, im going to try to uninstall and let windows reinstall it... I'll let u kno.

7. spikezor

spikezor Member

I think it worked, it's back to DMA settings in Device manager, and current mode is Ultra DMA 2. Im using DVD X Copy Platinum, and it's reading alot faster again.