1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd reader does not read disks

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by thebigbos, Oct 26, 2004.

1. thebigbos

thebigbos Member

Hey guys
    I’ve got a problem with my DVD reader and my DVD writer.

When I start my pc up it will read the cd or DVD in the drive but if you take it out it will not read the cd. It keep on giving a “Please insert disk” error..The only way then to solve this is to restart the pc….Alcohol 120% reads the disk and make copies. This also happens even if the pc was on for a while… I use a Aopen com 5232/aah dvd reader and a HL-dt-st dvdram gsa-40b2b (LG) Dvd writer. I use xp pro with SP2
    PC= Intel P4 cpu 3.00GHz
    512 MB Ram.. I surely hope there is help out there..

Ive re- installed windows twice and no luck.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you see files on disk thru windows explorer, how long have you had problem, before or after sp2, is it happening on both drives or just 1 & which one

3. thebigbos

thebigbos Member

The problem actually started when I bought the pc. I originally only had the Aopen drive in and about 2 months later I installed the LG drive…
    So the problem was there before I installed SP2 and no I can not read any files from the disk.. If you look in my computer it shows a dvd drive but as soon as you put in cd or dvd it shows cd drive. If you restart it shows the right info again…. Hope you can help….

4. ddp

uninstall both drives in device manager, restart windows & see what happens

5. thebigbos

thebigbos Member

Must have uninstalled the drives about a 100 time.. Have taken them out and put them back..change the slaves and masters around

6. ddp

are both drives on same cable if so put one on hd cable as slave & leave 2nd on own cable as master or slave