1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD reading problems, burned w/ Pioneer DVR-106D

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mygoch, Aug 26, 2003.

1. mygoch

mygoch Member

I am having a problem with some of the DVDs that I've burned. It seems like the beginning of these DVD reads fine but towards the end of the DVD I can't access the data. This seems to only happen when I'm manually creating a DVD-Video from VOB, BUP, & IFO files using Nero or creating an image of those files with ImgTools and burning them with DVD Decrypter. However, when I performed a DVD copy with Nero, the whole DVD can be read without any problems. Has anyone experience the same problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

Using:
    Pioneer DVR-106D
    DVD Decrypter or Nero 6.0
    CompUSA (FMI) brand media

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What way are you manually creating the DVD Video using what program?

3. mygoch

mygoch Member

There are 2 ways I'm creating the DVD-Videos:

First method:
    1. I use DVD Decrypter to extract the files.
    2. I use DVD Shrink 2.3 to re-author and re-encode the files. I only take the movie portion of the film and condense it to fit on one DVD-R.
    3. I use Nero to burn these newly created files to create the DVD-Video on a DVD-R.

Second method:
    First 2 steps are the same as above.
    3. I use ImgTools to create an image of the files generated by DVD Shrink 2.3.
    4. I use DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD-Video from that image.

The outcome for both methods is a DVD-R that can play back the movie without problems in the beginning but towards the last 5th of the disk the players has trouble reading the movie.

Thanks for your help in advance.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im not a fan of burning images to disc. The media that you are using, what is it? With cheaper media, it is often the case that the outer edges of the disc is where the lack of quality is most noticeable.

5. leeaim

leeaim Guest

i have the pioneer 106d and i can copy anything and they playback on most dvd players except on the pioneer itself. why is this?

6. mygoch

mygoch Member

I found a solution to my problem that's working well for me... The 2 methods that I used to create DVD-Videos which I've stated in my previous reply, was not producing a fully readable DVD. For most of the disc, my DVD players play it withou problems, but towards the end of it, it started to skip and/or become unreadable. Since then I have tried different methods and found some other methods to burn DVD-Videos properly. I haven't created a coaster since. Here is my new method(s):

Burning DVD-5 disc to DVD-R(4.7GB) (2 methods):

First Method (if copyright protected)
    1. Use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO File of your DVD. (MODE -> ISO -> READ or Press 'R')
    2. Use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO File to a Blank DVD-R. (MODE -> ISO -> WRITE or Press 'W')

Second Method (if no copyright protection)
    1. Use Nero and the DVD-Copy feature.
    2. Make sure you create a temp image to disk then burn to DVD-R. (Don't burn on the fly!)

Burning DVD-9 disc to DVD-R(4.7GB)(2 Methods):

First Method: (Burning the movie only)
    1. Use DVD Decrypter to extract all files. (MODE -> FILE or Press 'F')
    2. Use DVD Shrink to re-author and re-encode the movie files.
    a. Click Open File button. Find and Select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file that you've extracted. Analysis will ensue.
    b. After analysis, click the Re-author button and select the title with the movie (usually Title 1 - use the preview screen to be sure).
    c. Compress and remove features as necessary. Then click Backup.
    3. Use Nero to burn the files to disc. Make sure you select DVD-Video button in the new compilation window. Do not use DVD(ISO) or DVD(UDF) or DVD(UDF/ISO)!! Put all new re-authored and re-encoded files in the VIDEO_TS folder and burn compilation.

* NOTE: I believe this is where I went wrong before. I figured this out by trial and error. Using this DVD-Video option seemed to be the difference for me. I found this out by keeping everything constant including the files I burnt before and only changing the type of DVD compilation from DVD(ISO) to DVD-Video. Try it and let me know how it works for you.

Second Method: (Burning the full disc -compression needed)

The only difference is in step 2b. By default, after step 2a. you will be in the Full Disk Mode (Full Disk button is clicked). All you have to do is compress and remove the necessary files to get the DVD-9 movie under the maximum allowed disc space(<4.7GB). Then just burn with Nero like in step 3.

Sorry that this is sooo long winded but I am just happy that I found a way to burn DVDs that plays on any DVD player plus my Pioneer DVD burner and my XBOX (un-modded but some to be). And I wanted to share with other. Hope this helps.

Btw... It doesn't seem to be a media issue... I'm still using the same media when I had the problems. They are the CompUSA brand which I think are FMI.

7. leeaim

leeaim Guest

all my copies work great on dvd players without any skipping at all. thy also work on other writers but just wont play back on the pioneer. ive just bought a dvd rom so i can play them on my pc and they work fine on that too,its just the pioneer doesnt like playing its own copied discs. 150quid for a pile of crap. i should of got the nec.

8. mygoch

mygoch Member

leeaim - what are you using to play the DVD on your computer? Some software like WinDVD having a setting for autoplay and asks for a specific drive or it won't play the DVD.

Can you even explore the contents of the DVD from Pioneer drive? If so, you should try some other programs to play the DVD. Do you get error messages when you play it? If so what is it. You need to give some more info about this problem.

9. leeaim

leeaim Guest

i use windows media or power dvd. i dont get any error messages at all,the pioneer just wont read the disc. when i open the properties it says no disc or insert disc. it just wont read them but im starting to think it might not like them particular discs.datawrite -r im using so i might just try a different brand

10. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Try making a DVD-UDF in Nero instead of a DVD-Video, I have not had one failure using this format, rip with DVDShrink and burn with Nero DVD-UDF (not DVD-UDF/ISO) I have a 4-5 year old Toshiba DVD player, and it plays everything that I burn this way..

11. leeaim

leeaim Guest

what brand of disc do you use? also do the settings need adjusting on nero to burn udf or leave as default?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2003
  12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Set ISO to level 1

Use Ritek media

13. leeaim

leeaim Guest

IM TRYING A DIFFERENT DATAWRITE BUT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE X2 BUT I CAN ONLY BURN AT X1 AND THAT TAKES TOO LONG. IM GONNA TRY THE UDF NOW

14. leeaim

leeaim Guest

ive just copied a dvd using udf and it doesnt even register on my player. it copied ok but my player just wont read it at all. and as far as using them other datawrite discs,they took nearly an hour longer.think i might just try ritek!

15. Billy100

Billy100 Member

Has anyone else had the same problems as leeaim? As I'm looking into this drive what kind of problems have you guys encountered (if any) for example do you get problems writing at 4x on -R media like the Optorite owners have encountered or software compatibilty.

Cheers

16. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

I use the cheapest media I can get $2 a pop, burn at 4x and have had not one coaster using Nero UDF setting... I am assuming you are creating a VIDEO_TS folder as Nero won't create this when using UDF, but does when using DVD-Video..

17. leeaim

leeaim Guest

do you use udf or udf/iso. also what settings do you use cos when i tried udf it wouldnt play on anything.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes you use those settings. Make sure not to create a multisession and it is imperative that you burn the files inside a VIDEO_TS folder

19. leeaim

leeaim Guest

ive just burned again using udf/iso and again another wasted disc. can someone tell me the settings cos im having no luck that way at all. just lots of discs wasted.

20. mygoch

mygoch Member

Try using DVD-Video settings in Nero... and put all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder. See if that works.

In addition test the files that you are going to burn first by playing it with WinDVD or other software that can play VOB files to see if it's the rip or the burn process at fault.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003