1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Rebuilder Runtime Error 7

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by tjazz, Aug 16, 2004.

1. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Hey Guys,

Can Anyone direct me where I'm going wrong? I've Ripped Lotr Rotk W/ Decrypter no problem. However when I fire up Dvd Rebuilder V .056 Beta I end up getting The following : Rebuilder Runtime Error 7 Out Of Memory.
    I don't understand how I'm running out of memory. I've done this twice on successive nights with the same results. I'm only running 256 mbs of Ram on Win 98SE with a Athlon 1.8 Cpu. The 2nd time that I attempted it, I fired up System Mechanic before haand & defraged my memory twice & recovered as much Ram as possible, but the results were the same. I read all of the posts but I didn't come across any Runtime Error 7 problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Peace

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

tjazz...welcome to AD.

There shouldn't be a problem with Decrypter and Win 98's FAT32 file system. However, I don't know of anyone using a FAT32 file system with DVD Rebuilder. Everyone I know uses NTFS with either Win2k or Win XP/Pro. This may be at the root of your problem.

I would also mention that video encoding is likely to require a minimum of 512 MB RAM. Your 1.8 Athlon is OK, though. And I would sugest a well defragged HD with about 20 GB free space.

@jdobbs and/or vurbal ... what would you consider to be minimum system specs? I'll put it in the FAQ's.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  3. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Thanks Doc,

I appreciate the help.

Peace

4. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

I've never actually tried it -- but I know of other people who are using Win98 with DVDRebuilder... (I fixed a bug for Win98 a version or two ago) which would imply it works with FAT32. DVD-RB never creates files over 2GB, so that shouldn't be a limitation.

5. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Ok, so is there something else I should be doing to get this going? It's kinda of driving me Batty! I know when I installed Rebuilder & CCE I don't remember it saying anything about compatibility issues with 98. And I did a ton of reading before I bought CCE Basic & installed Rebuilder. I would just like to get a look at the Quality everyone has praised. Well if anyone can think of what could be at the root of my issue, I'd be most grateful.

Peace

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

tjazz ... jdobbs (above) is the one who wrote the code for Rebuilder, and if he says there shouldn't be a problem with Win 98, I would have to go along with it.

I don't know what would produce the out of memory error. However, lets check your Virtual Memory, which is temporary memory on your hard drive. Control Panel >> System >> Performance >> Virtual Memory.

You should be managing your own VM, because Windows does a poor job of it with this video application. People often run out of virtual memory using the NTFS file system. Change both min and max to 4000. You will receive a warning, however, I assure you nothing will go wrong. I have a computer running Win 98SE, and I changed my values.

After rebooting, I would try the Decrypter - RB/CCE process again.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

It occurred to me that the Runtime Error 7 is a Windows based error, not DVD-Rebuilder. Here is a link to MS Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q257947

I briefly read this article, and MS says the cause of the behavior is unknown. However, since it is related to Visual Basic, this is at least where the problem resides.

The other thing to consider is that virtual memory problems abound with drives that aren't defragged. The Win 98 utility is very slow, and I installed the one from WinME which was a lot faster, and then Diskeeper Lite (freeware), which can be run in the background while you do other tasks. I highly recommend it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1207.html

8. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Thanks Doc for all of the advice. I Dld. Diskeeper Lite &
    you were right about my Virtual Memory, it was being controlled by Windows. And I read the article about Runtime Error 7. I'm going to do the first 2 steps now. Hopefully that alleviates my issues, cause what they were talking about in that article was a little out of my league. So I'll try it all later tonight, and post my results.
    Thank You

Peace

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

The Support article was over my head for sure. I think the most important thing is to recognize where the problem lies. If defragging your drive doesn't do anything, maybe trying a different version of Visual Basic, if possible, would take care of the problem?

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes I think that Doc is correct, runtime errors are usually a result of Microsoft's Visual Basic. It comes with a bunch of DLL's referred to as a runtime library and when one gets into a conflict or corrupted you have runtime errors.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  11. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

Are you using OPV or Multipass VBR for your encoding?

12. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

I can tell you for sure, that the Microsoft article isn't associated with this error -- because DVD-RB doesn't do any data references in combo boxes. Microsoft has a history of tossing up any old error when it isn't sure which one applies.

I'm wondering (just guessing) if you may have run into a problem in OPV in which it can get caught in a loop trying to compute the best Q factor and eventually ran out of stack space. I've seen it happen -- but thought it was fixed.

If you are using OPV -- switch to 2 pass and try again.

13. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

jdobbs...

I tried finding the OPV and couldn't. Where is it? I got to VBR 2 Pass by Options >> CCE Options >> Advanced Settings >> VBR .

Also, when you are talking about running out of stack space, this sounds like a memory function. Would this by chance involve either RAM or virtual memory?

14. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Well, I gave it a shot again, and after almost (6) hrs. of encoding the Runtime Error 7 reappeared! I have no idea how close to being complete the project was. It's frustrating, I'm thinking it's something simple that's mucking things up. I just can't put my finger on it.

Peace

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

lol. It usually is something simple. :)

Sometimes the only answer is a fresh install of software. Before doing this, I recommend doing a sytem file check for any corrupted files. Here is how to do it with Win 98:

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-142.shtml

I have some additional advice if you are not familiar with using the sfc. If it does flag a corrupt file, click ignor the first time on any of the files, and just make it through to the end of the process. This will give the system a chance to update any files, and help to get you comfortable with the process. Then reboot, and start the process again. At this time if you find a corrupt file you can restore it from the cab files or from the OS disc. If you have any questions about this, let me know.

Also, in line with jdobbs question, are you in VBR 2 pass mode?

16. tjazz

tjazz Guest

I'm in Vbr 2 pass mode. Where exactly would I find my Cab files in the Windows directory?

Peace

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Make a folder named cab under Windows whre the other OS files are. Copy all relevant files from the Win98 CD into it. These files are compressed, and I have WinRAR installed, so they show up as WinRAR files for me. If you have ZIP, they will likely show up as ZIP files. You can find these by opening up the CD directory and looking under Win98. You will see names like Driverxx, Basexx, Win98, etc. If it is a compressed file, transfer it to cab.
    Then, when you are asked to insert the WIn98 CD, just point to the cab folder instead.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  18. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Thanks Doc,
    I transferred all the Cab files, sure were alot. I'll do the other part probably in the morning. I didn't know both of my kids were getting shots as a part of their physical for school. My 4 yr. old got 3 shots today, and needless to say he's beyond BITCHY right now. So I'm going to spend a little time with my Boys before I go in to work tonight. Thank you everyone for your help.

Peace

19. tjazz

tjazz Guest

Oh yeah Doc, what do I do when I do the File Check & I find that a file has been changed? Not a corrupt file, just that the file has been changed. Maybe updated or something. I had 56 files that had been changed & 1 corrupt file.

Peace

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

The updates are normal and OK. They are usually the result of installing new software. There was one "corrupt" file I could never seem to fix, and it seems it was a "setup" type file. If this is the one you found, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just click ignor.

I'm not sure what process you are using to transfer the cabs(?), but if you just high-lite all the relevant files at one time on the Win98 CD, and then copy and paste, it should take care of it. If you are opening each compressed file, you don't need to do this.