1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rebuilder vs dvd2dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by lowriderz, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Chip718

Chip718 Guest

Hello,ddlooping. Thanks for the reply.

I know zero about cooling. I tried to contact my machine's manufacturer (Gateway), but were no help at all.

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

You're welcome, Chip718. :)

I don't know much about cooling either. :D

3. erdoke

erdoke Guest

Offtopic, but:
    Then look around Thermalright homepage for a good heatsink and get a 92 mm Papst or Panaflo fan. ;o)
    Maybe a TR XP-120 with a 120 mm Papst fan is an even better choice, but take care it fits on your mobo.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Today it's the beginning of the rest of your life.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@ddlooping: You always have to rip with a separate program for DVD-RB (unless you're using something like AnyDVD to avoid the rip step altogether). You could always use DVD Shrink to make an uncompressed movie only backup and use that for the source. Of course if you use DVD2DVDR you're already using CCE, which is the main thing anyway. The only real advantage to using DVD-RB for movie only backups is when you have hybrid film/video sources, because it can keep the video at 29.97fps and the film at 23.976fps, but otherwise it shouldn't make any difference in quality.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the info, Vurbal. ;)

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

ddlooping
    Since you have to rip the movie anyway I just rip with shrink. I can remove unwanted audio and rip just the movie if desired. No more programs than normal.
    Thus no need for dvd2dvdr. Rebuilder has the edge.
    It is moot for me. I never do only the movie. I like scene selection.

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For reference that is how I put both dvds from Schindlers list on one dvd. Movie only with Shrink then rebuilder.

8. vurbal

I'm with you. I like having the scene selections menus. I also like having the movie wait to play until I'm ready. Unfortunately I seem to be running across a lot of movies lately (mostly older DVDs) that I have to edit to make them go to the menu first instead of playing the movie directly.

9. erdoke

erdoke Guest

10. erdoke

erdoke Guest

@ vurbal:

It is not so difficult to leave out some space for menus and extras in DVD2DVDR. Sure it is more simple with RB if it works at all. Some Shrink+DVDReMake edited movies give you problems when going through RB (oversize for example). Future RB releases probably will fix these issues.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I have 52 movies done with Rebuilder and no problems from editing with shrink. Have you been using rebuilder and having problems?
    I haven't seen one problem with the use of DVDshrink in the rebuilder help thread.

If there is an actual feature that dvd2dvdr has besides being unable to backup the whole dvd please tell me. Something that can't be done with Rebuilder.

12. vurbal

I certainly won't disagree with most of this, although I haven't personally had any problems with the final size using DRM and DVD-RB so I can't really comment either way on that issue.

13. Chip718

Chip718 Guest

I am using DVD2DVD-R 1.8.1 and CCE SP 2.67 does anyone tweak the encoder settings or do you use the only ones the program gives you? TIA

14. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

You must configure DVD2DVD-R to work with the right chip your computer has... here is how it goes

Processor IDCT Mode
    Pentium 4 32-bit MMX SSE2
    AMD Athlon XP or Barton 32-bit MMX SSE
    If you have a Pentium III 32-bit MMX SSE
    Athlon or a Duron Non XP 32-bit MMX

15. erdoke

erdoke Guest

Not only oversizing issues I get, there are rare DVD structure errors as well. It is for sure a problem of RB and RM because any other combination of applications do not produce it. (@64026402: If only Shrink is on the editing side, there is no problem. Shrink + DVDReMake together gives errors 2 out of 10 backups, Not a significant data however, based on around 20 backups).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Today it's the beginning of the rest of your life.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2004
  16. vurbal

The occasional structure issues I can definitely back you up on, although I haven't gotten any with the last couple of versions of DRM. Of course, like you, I haven't done enough backups to get the kind of numbers that would qualify as scientific evidence.

17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I concur with Vurbal. No structure errors with the later updates of DRM.
    I never had any problems with DRM and Shrink without Rebuilder. The dvd always came out fine.
    If I edited with Remake and the dvd was small enough I would use Shrink to make the ISO with no compression.

18. erdoke

erdoke Guest

I was asking around DRM forums and it seems you are right as much less issues come with 2.3.4 Pro. I still use 1.4.6 but considering an upgrade now (it's not for free).

19. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

One nice feature of DVD2DVD-R is that you can tweak the end credits to a lesser bitrate than rest of the movie...

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

--

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004