1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rebuilder vs dvd2dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by lowriderz, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know I’m coming into this debate a little late but there seems to be some missing information regarding DVD2DVD-R. It’s a very simple program to use if you're backing up a Pal movie because you can use ifoedit mode under Authoring Mode and everything else is more or less automated. But when you are backing up a NTSC movie it is recommended that you use SONIC scenarist NT and that is a far more complicated setup because the process is no longer automated. Below is a link to the
    DVD2DVD-R guide, and I think after reading it you’ll find Vurbal’s guide and DVD-RB the more user friendly of the two for NTSC movies.

http://www.davis28.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Gudie/guide.html

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Very good point, Sophocles. :)

ddlooping, from PAL land. ;)

3. erdoke

erdoke Guest

That's correct, DVD2DVDR uses Scenarist NT to remux on NTSC movies.
    Just a sigh: You have never experienced audio dropouts with DVD2DVDR... ;o) Hope that jdobbs will fix this issue soon, though my settop player doesn't care about such problems. :D

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

erdoke

I've never experienced an audio dropout with DVD Rebuilder of anykind and I've backed more than 60 movies with it. I'm pretty familiar with most of RB's bugs and I haven't ran across any that involve audio dropouts. I know this doesn't mean that it doesn't happen but I hand with a lot of RB users and none of them have reported this problem either. If you have information that you can direct me to that will inform me of this problem I would like to see it.:)

5. erdoke

erdoke Guest

Sophocles

As I mentioned it is the same with me, no audio dropouts experienced so far. Reading the Doom9 forums regurarly though, it seems that I belong to the majority that owns a player which overrides the faulty remuxing of RB. People who experience the problems do not get it with other methods of backing up, only with RB.
    THis issue was even bigger with 0.57, that's why jdobbs came out with 0.57a in less than a day. 0.57a goes back to the remuxing engine of 0.56, because even jdobbs has experienced audio dropouts with 0.57.

Some links if you are further interested in this issue:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81689
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81452
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73050

and finally in "DVD Rebuilder Known Issues":
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77696

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

erdoke

All of the links you provided were to individuals using CCE SP and you and I know that they're either using the trial version or cracked versions. There's no doubt that CCE SP experiences some problems with RB, but when a problem is isolated and is only being experienced by a limited number of users then there's a variable that's being missed. It could be bad media, they're trying to burn at too high a speed, or there burner just doesn't cut it. A problem in RB should be the same with everyone or no one.:) Thanks for the links they were interesting.

7. erdoke

erdoke Guest

@Sophocles

I don't really want to argue with you on this topic because I just love the way Rebuilder works. It spares me a lot of time and work needed with other program combinations.
    Only one series of quotes from jdobbs on the 0.57->0.57a changes:
    So it is RB what makes wrong remuxes. It has little to do with CCE versions as far as I understand.

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

erdoke
    Rebuilder doesn't have a remux issue.
    Your last post showed a minor code fix in 1 version that had never been proven to actually cause a problem.
    As for DVD2DVDr not having bugs, your just fooling yourself. It may work good for you but all software is imperfect and requires debugging regularly. It is just a process.

Because of DVD2DVDrs limitations I will not likely play with it at any point. DVDrebuilder makes it obsolete.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

erdoke

I apologize if anything I've said gives the appearance of an argument. My point was that if all the problems being reported are with CCE SP users then that just might be a variable. Most of us here use a registered version of CCE Basic. The statement that you posted by jdobbs was also a response to a CCE SP question not CCE Basic I've backed up "Once Upon A Time in the West," without incident. I believe you also stated that you've experienced no audio dropouts. I believe that some people are experiencing dropouts I'm just questioning the cause.

If there’s a problem with RB then I’d like to find it so that we here at AD can provide jdobbs the feedback he’ll need to resolve it. But when some people are experiencing these problems and others aren’t with the same film then that suggests another or unknown variable. When I followed your links to Doom9, one of the complaints was with Deep space 9.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  10. erdoke

erdoke Guest

@64026402 & Sophocles

Please don't misunderstand me. It's not about DVD2DVDR and DVD RB anymore. I quit using the first immediately when found the second stable enough to use.
    I'm only talking about the infos picked up over Doom9 forums. It seems that this audio dropout issue exists, and no doubt it's really strange.
    It seems that any of us could experience this issue if we used the same old settop players as the others. There were a couple of guys who picked their discs and tried it in their friends' players and experienced dropouts even with backups that played in their own player flawlessly.
    It is our common interest to find the cause of this issue even when we don't experience it. I think that we are only members of the lucky majority. ;o)

@Sophocles
    Sorry but sometimes I cannot feel the slight differences between similar words. English is not my mother tongue, so "arguement" was possibly a bit too strong for what I intended to say. We are just talking about DVD backup and nice tools. :eek:)

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Your description sounds like media and burn problems not encoding. I have long perfected my burning technique and no longer have any such concerns.

If if was related to Rebuilder it wouln't work on some players and not others.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

erdoke

Point well taken and we are in agreement on the point of learning but if the standalone players are slightly older they may have a problem with the differences in DVD+R or DVD-R media. Many older players won't play recorded media at all. I have 4 standalones and only one won't play my backups from RB/CCe but then it won't play any backups at all.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

13. erdoke

erdoke Guest

@ 64026402 & Sophocles

You forget the fact that if they use any other backup tools (transcoders) on the same movie, they do NOT experience the dropouts while they do the burning exactly the same way on exactly the same type of DVDR, use exactly the same player, etc.

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

You forget that if you use other programs it will affect the burn so it is not exactly apples to apples.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

erdoke

Yes good point and the funny thing is I was just in a debate with jdobbs about everything but this, and this is the only important debate. I've posted the link to this thread and I'm still hoping that he'll pop in and clear this up.

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I any case if it plays ok on some players then the encode was fine. It just leaves how you put it on the disc and the media. You can use some media and have a good burn right after a bad burn.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My view is that the fault is most likely in the standalone players and their compatibility with recordable media. I will however defer that thought until I've heard from jdobbs.

18. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

Just for the record... there are a very few (near as I can tell less than 5 out of 100,000 known users) who have reported an audio dropout. I have never personally been able to repeat it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist... anything is possible -- but it seems to be very, very, very rare and only related to a very tiny set of specific players.

Also to erdoke... if you are going to quote me, quote the entire response... I went on to say in that post that I have to take it on faith that there even is an error because is is reported by so few people.

What hasn't been determined yet is whether the problem is in the player reported or in DVD-RB. If it is in RB it will be fixed... but please don't turn this virtually nonexistent report into a debate or attempt to make it seem as if the sky is falling.

Also, I'm also getting upset with all the "it doesn't work" reports. Pretty much 99.9% of problems reported with DVD-RB have been related to improper configuration. I didn't create an installation package because this is a beta (oh yeah, remember that point too). The second most common problem is from people who manually modify the DVD-RB output files to try and "super opimize" -- only to break something.

Hopefully the first problem will become less common, there will be a self installing version of DVD-RB that includes all components except CCE (thanks to WMANSIR).

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

jdobbs

Thands for your input.

I've never had any problems with RB (except for DareDevil which I butchered because of a bug in DVDremake} and I've done over 60 backups with it. I think that for me this debate is finished.

20. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For the record, thank for the hard work on DVDrebuilder.
    So far the success rate for my DVDrebuilder backups have been 100%.
    I have had a scant few that required a redo from scratch but the final result has always been great.

I think my number of backups with this setup are similar to Sophocles.

As it sits the setup can be done easily by a beginner
    and the backup itself can be as simple as you want.

I also believe the vast majority of the people with initial problems are setup related.

You just don't see any complaints from the veteran users. Just more ways to use the program.