1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recognition

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by spee, Sep 23, 2004.

1. spee

spee Member

I recently baught a OEM Pioneer 107D DVD Burner. I have installed the firmware off the pioneer website. I baught some comp usa DVD Discs. When I put the disk in, the windows program asks me to open the writable device. So the drive pops up but it says there is 0mb free of 0mb. So I dont know if there is a problem with the burner, the disks, or am I missing something. Do I need more softare aside from the firmware. I have used DVD Shrink to get files that are about 4.7gb. Now I just want to put those files on a DVD. My burner see's the cd-r's have empty space on them, why not DVD's?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi spee. Since you already have Shrink and have files on your HD from Shrink, you need a burning program to burn them back to the blank disc. You can download Decrypter which is free or Nero 6 Ultra which has a 30 day trial. In Shrink's settings you can pick which of these 2 programs you want to burn with. Once you pick Nero as an example, Shrink will decrypt you dvd movie, compress it if necessary, and then it will auto start Nero for the burn back. There are guides off the guide tab at page top for using Shrink with both programs. Windows shows nothing on the blank disc because there is nothing there. Once burned, it will show the file size of the movie.
    One other thing, max file size for a blank dvd is 4.36 gig, not 4.7gig. Don't go by the writing on the blanks. The size is calculated different.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  3. spee

spee Member

Thanks for the help. I have downloaded the dycrypter and it is writing, but at 1X which sucks. Does the DVD I purchase make a difference of how fast I can write? Also why cant I just drag and drop the files ripped with DVD Shrink onto my blank DVD? Is this because a DVD is not like other storage devices such as a CD-R?

Thanks again

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Blank media is rated at different speeds so that does make a difference. Also your burner will have a max speed it can burn at. A few things to check which may help improve burning speed. In device manager, check that both IDE channels are set to DMA not PIO. Check the burner and HD are set at DMA. Best location setting for the burner is usually set as MASTER on the 2nd IDE cable. Hope this helps get you burning faster.
    Yes the dvd files need burned in a proper format to play so its a little different than data.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004