1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd record or pc

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by noslig199, Feb 14, 2005.

1. noslig199

noslig199 Member

Hi, I have a pc with capture card that allows me to record from TV to my pc hard drive.It records in mpeg and avi files, and then I burn to DVD. But the problem is: I have to convert these files to vob. and they get too big.I cannot burn more than 1.5 hours into the 4.7 gb DVD.I also have a lot of shows recorded from vcr in vhs tapes that has more than two hours and they won't fit on a single DVD either.
    I am looking for some advices here, should I buy DVD recorder? or any software and use my pc?

2. sspearman

sspearman Member

So here's my experience... the PC is great when you want to do a lot of editing or transitions and such. The standalone recorder is much superior for doing a bunch of bulk transfers - much faster and less labor-intensive. Just set your expectations, generally there is some failure rate in either approach - still need some more maturing of the technology.

3. noslig199

noslig199 Member

Thank you sspearman, it took awhile for the first response but that's what I was expecting.

4. monte530

monte530 Guest

you can capture some video files from another source.. then have a software program "render" that file to a dvd format.. then fire up DVD shrink and open the files in it and it will shrink them to fit a 4.7 disc.. no matter how long the film is. I have taken eight hours on a VR and shrunk it to fit on a 4.7... dvd disc.. that way..