1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder media to PC DVD not working

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by IBL, Mar 23, 2005.

1. IBL

IBL Member

Recorder:

SONY RDR-GX3

Media:

TDK DVD-RW

Player:

PC EXTERNAL PLEXTOR PX-708UF

Problem:

Can not find a way to burn a full disc for playback on a PC DVD drive.

Format modes:

VR or VIDEO (Finalized and Unfinalized)

I think my problem has something to do with find the right type of disc, format type and if I should finalize or not.

How can I view DVD recorded DVDs on my PC DVD?

Any help is appreciated!

2. IBL

IBL Member

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=119&Search=Search&list=1

SONY RDR GX3 above.

Here are the formats that are supposed to work on this system and my Plextor PX-708UF

-R
    -RW
    +RW
    +R (some discs, but not supported)

Apparently it can use other formats but depends on the media. The supported is -R, -RW, +RW.

I must format blank DVDs. My choice is.

VR mode

or

VIDEO mode

Any one of those modes will playback on the Sony RDR-GX3. However I am having great trouble finding ways of playing the media outside of the SONY unit.

I did a quick disk test using VR (about 10 seconds) that I got working on my PC. The next time I finished the TDK DVD-RW disc it did not work.

So I tried different media and different formats but still no playback on PC.

So then I heard about finalizing.

I tried to finalize the DVDs in the drive, but after they finalized they did not work on the Plextor either.

Any ideas?

It is my understand that VIDEO mode is like burning a DVD VIDEO that we rent, VR mode is for editing in the DVD recorder itself and that VR mode is somewhat a problem on other systems??

Can someone help explain this a bit more so I can isolate the problem.

Hey by the way from time to time my Plextor does act up with normal DVDs (not playing, then playing -- very rare and I think is a hardware HEAT problem), but mostly it just does not play certain DVDs from the store for some reason or sometimes a media that worked last week, fails next week. Most times the experience is that the Plextor actually refuses to see the disk at all and instead sends into mouse pointer CD icon flashing hell or locks the OS.

Any help is appreciated!

3. IBL

IBL Member

SOLUTION:

Bad Media

Verbatim DVD-RW worked instead.

#1 Finalize DVD in Menu. Otherwise DVD may only play on just recorded device.
    #2 Format mode VIDEO (not VR) for a DVD that can play on most systems.

**Special Note: VIDEO mode format can not be edited like VR. Some VR formats can work on other systems, even without finalizing. Some VIDEO mode formats can also playback on other media without finalizing.

MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU BURN A COLLECTION THAT YOUR MEDIA CAN PLAY ON ANOTHER PLAYER!

NOT FAULTY DVD-RW DVD MEDIA + VIDEO MODE (NOT VR) FORMAT IN DVD RECORDER + FINALIZING DVD AT END IN MENU = GLOBAL DVD.