1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder purchasing advice

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by campbuds, Feb 24, 2008.

1. campbuds

campbuds Member

I have been in the market for a DVD recorder for about 8 months. I have yet to be able to find one that people are happy with. They all seem to have problems, and at that they are the same problems with each player that seem to come up. I have not found anyone that is actually happy with their DVD recorder over the long haul.

Is there a decent DVD recorder out there? I would really not to spend my life savings on one either. Keep it affordable.

THANKS!

PS. It would be nice to have one with an optical input for recording too (some TV shows I record come in with 5.1)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. Gibber1

Gibber1 Member

I haven't heard of any device that excepts Optical IN except a surround sound receiver. You'll probably better off buying a DVR = Digital Video Recorder. Instead of a DVD disc it has a hard drive like a PC. With Blu-ray and HD-DVD coming out, you can see technology evolving. Standard DVD discs will become obsolete because they only hold 1/10th of a BLU-RAY or HD-DVD disc. DVRs will record 5.1 and even DTS if broadcasted. DVRs hold more and can transfer stored movies/shows to PC's. If you haven't found a DVD-R in 8 months that you like, that should be a hint.

3. campbuds

campbuds Member

I just have not heard one good thing about one DVD recorder that leaves me with any confidence in any of them. No one is happy with the picture or they are just junk and crap out. I have yet to hear of anyone happy with their DVD recorder.

4. martymail

martymail Guest

I recently purchased a Toshiba DVD recorder/player for a really good price. It's funny but after the purchase I read some terrible reviews for it. So far, being an inexperienced newbie and all, I'm completly satisfied with it. It plays well in any format I choose, has 5.1, excellent picture quality in both recording and playback mode, multiple inputs and outputs. It does the job for me.

5. campbuds

campbuds Member

do you have a model #?

6. martymail

martymail Guest

7. campbuds

campbuds Member

I cannot believe I have to ask this at this point but would you share it and how much you paid for it? Maybe where you got it?

8. martymail

martymail Guest

OK - I was going to post it after you had a bit of time to stew about it. It's Model No. DR5SC. It has inputs for HDMI, Component Video, Infared audio, RCA jacks and cable conections. I purchased it in Oshawa, Ontario for $59.98 CAN! Ignore ratings by the professionals and check out user ratings. I'm really happy with it and NO I don't work for Toshiba.
    Marty

9. martymail

martymail Guest

P.S. I got it on sale because it was missing the Owner's Manual which I easily downloaded from the Toshiba web site.

10. campbuds

campbuds Member

Thankyou!

11. prutherf

prutherf Member

Owner of RDR-HX715 for two years , I could think of several ways to improve this machine but it has provided me with tireless service and the ability to store and burn from a 160 g harddrive is a feature that any other model is hard pressed to match.