1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd recorder to record all channels?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jeff6898, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jeff6898

jeff6898 Guest

Is there a dvd recorder that will record off movie channels? THe last one I had would not record off certain channels saying it is a copy righted program.

2. Mozilfox

Mozilfox Member

How do you have your recorder connected? Are you using a High Def cablebox? I have a Sony GX300 recorder. When I tried recording with an HD cable box I got the same copyright notice. I now have this recorder hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box (non HD) and it will record any Movie from HBO, Showtime, Starz, TMC, Cinemax with no problem.
    I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder connected to a Panasonic plasma with cablecard. That works also as this one upcoverts as well. I can record any Movie from any channel. However, the bummer is that because of the cablecard set up and the fact that there is no cablebox on that set in order to record from TV set it has to be on to record a movie.I tried other ways like Connecting a split cable directly to the recorder and it produced terrible picture quality recordings.

3. jeff6898

jeff6898 Guest

I have the cable run straight into the dvd recorder out to the tv

4. Mozilfox

Mozilfox Member

If you have a cable box see if there are audio/video outputs on it in the form of composite, S video etc. and run those audio and video outputs to the line input of your DVD recorder, Line input 1 for example. Now, From your DVD recorder Line Output audio and video run those to an audio/video input on your TV set. RCA type or Svideo wires only. No coaxial cable needed. I have Comcast Cable. This setup works for me with Comcast Cable. I can use this setup to record any movie on any channel leaving the cable box on and set to the channel to be recorded. I also record Movies from the On Demand menu which also can be recorded manually from the cablebox.

5. tempdb

tempdb Member

Mozilfox,
    Are you able to record from channels like Discovery, National Geographics, Animal planet?
    Do you know any good DVD-recorder currently in market?
    Thanks in advance..

6. Mozilfox

Mozilfox Member

Yes, I can record all of those channels. I can record any channel that is viewable on my cable system. I have a Sony RDR GX300 DVD recorder and a Panasonic DMR-EH55 (This Panasonic unit can record to DVD or its own internal hard drive. No problem with either recording from cable box to DVD recorder on any channel, including On Demand programs.