1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder vs DVD burner (PC)

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by briansolo, Jul 6, 2007.

1. briansolo

briansolo Member

i have hundreds of vhs that are 6-8 hours per tape, and i am converting them to dvd at a 1 dvd per 1 tape ratio. my concern is with quality. i had a vhs/dvd-in-one recording unit, but it gave me a/v sync problems, so i returned it, and was recommended to go through the computer with this process. i already have the capability to capture vhs video and burn it to dvd on my computer.

my question:

why is it that when recording EP/SLP mode with a standalone dvd recording unit plugged into the television, that i can fit about 6 hours on a single layer disc at pretty decent quality; but recording/burning in EP/SLP mode through the computer produces a poorer-quality disc with less content? it doesn't make sense to me!

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Answer: The hardware solution uses a dedicated MPEG2 hardware encoder and is already maximized.

Your software solution is based upon many variables and is further complicated by the varying quality of capturing/encoding software. It can be done, but you just have to know exactly what you're doing. All-in-one software solutions usually yield very mediocre results.

3. briansolo

briansolo Member

okay fair enough. i'm not using an all-in-one media suite to back up my vhs to dvd, as i'm using hauppauge to capture and ulead (which isn't very good burning quality from what i can tell) or nero (which is giving me burn errors) to burn. what program would you recommend to capture, and what program would you recommend that i can author a dvd with, allowing me to insert chapter breaks?

also, do you know what the deal is with the a/v sync problem with the vhs/dvd-in-one recording unit? it is a samsung dvd-vr330.