1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recorder will not read the portable hard drive.

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by MoonDrei, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MoonDrei

MoonDrei Member

I wanted to be able to play movies/video files that are on my computer on my TV.

I went to the store and asked the person working there what DVD players would I be able to use that have a USB port. Something that I could hook up either a flash drive or portable hard drive to in order to view movie/video files.

I then asked if a portable hard drive would work instead of getting a flash drive.

He had me get the Sony, DVD Recorder, RDR-GX25. Also the 250GB Western Digital, Pass Port.

The only information that the Sony operating instructions have regarding the USB port is how to hook up the USB device and play music/picture files.

The Sony recorder is not reading any of the files that I put on the portable hard drive.

The video files are .avi and work with my DivX Player on the computer.

The image files are JPEG (which the instructions state the DVD Recorder can read)

The audio files are mp3 (which the instructions state the DVD Recorder can read)

The DVD Recorder isn't reading anything from the portable hard drive.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something in the instruction manual?

Can DVD players/Recorders even read portable hard drives or do I need to get a flash drive?

If I just don't have the right equipment to be able to view the files from my computer on the TV could you please point me in the right direction?

I really don't care about viewing image or audio files on the TV, I was just using them to see if the DVD Recorder would read the hard drive at all.

Any advice you have will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I have a Philips DVD player that can read files from an external HDD.

If you don't have access to a flash drive to test with, you can check the HDD file format in the 'Properties'.

Flash drives are formatted Fat32 and AFAIK, so are portable HDDs.