1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorders and "Copy Protected Content" HELP!?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tubenewb, Jun 15, 2007.

1. tubenewb

tubenewb Member

Howdy!

I own a Toshiba HDD/DVD Recorder and recently subscribed to Movie Central (Canada) in order to get The Sopranos final episodes. I'm never home to watch stuff air so I always timeshift...

BUT--- my machine had about 2 minutes of the program and got a CP-D error and when I tried to do it manually, said "Copy Protected Content Detected"...

What gives?!?!?! It isn't like I'm trying to record/burn an HD broadcast. This is off a dinky digital cable box through RCA video (composite) and also Coax.

So I'm guessing Macrovision has gotten their dirty little hands into this. Of course the cable provider says "you could always upgrade to one of our PVR units."

To which I replied "sure, if you're willing to credit me the $500 I spent on my DVD recorder."

Anyone else having 'issues' with standalone recorders (non PVR) and recording programs???

Thanks

2. disones4u

disones4u Member

Not yet but I've spent a good bit of time reading about this because I prepared to buy a recorder any day now. Macrovision does have their hand in this and you can buy what is called a video stabilizer or clarifier (same thing) to strip the "broadcast flags" from the video. I've found a few of them and I'm in the process of trying to find out which ones are the best to use. Here is one that I think I might go with: Grex Stabilizer by Dimax there are a few more and this one doesn't work all of the time but from what I've read it works more often than not. Here is an interesting forum that mentions a product that I've not heard of, it seems like some guy has found a way to not just blank out different protection schemes but rather send a code to your recorder that turns off the protection rather than trying to subvert it; he calls it a CGMS controller. here is that forum: Interesting Forum Discussion
    It's kind of long but read the whole thing the guys name is logic design but several other posters comment on the device that he is talking about. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007