1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD recording error

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by mrmovie, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mrmovie

mrmovie Member

I have recorded sporting events before where I use the pause feature during recording in order to eliminate commercials and timeouts. I usually use more expensive discs and have no trouble. Recently I used the less expensive discs to record this way (on the fly, pausing at intervals) I also used HQ this time instead of sp, now, looking at the disc, it did record all the event, but it freezes at 1/3 the way through and returns me to menu. So it's a bummer.

Should I steer clear of using less expensive discs for this use? (they work fine for backing up my dvd's) was it just a "law of averages" failure? Or do you think it was related to the HQ mode and pausing?

Any thoughts? Input?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you have learned an important lesson by trial and error first hand! Your media is important. Use only the best media otherwise buying and using the cheap stuff makes it more expensive because you have to do it all over again! that makes the cheap stuff more expensive than the higher priced media of good quality! here is a media guide for you:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    you can check out your manufacturer id using this free program and check your disk against the media guide: http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    or just stick to the MIJ rule (Made In Japan). check the label of the box or spindle and make sure it says MIJ on it..... otherwise get Verbatim .... top notch media but made in Taiwan/Singapore and the only exception to the MIJ rule! by using good quality media will stop any skipping, freezing, pixelations or lines on playback and if anything else goes wrong you can skip the poor quality media choice and go from there! good luck.

3. mrmovie

mrmovie Member

Thanks IHoe!

I really appreciate your feedback.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yW!