1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD region free??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RMF, Jan 20, 2003.

1. RMF

RMF Regular member

I've just gotten a hold of the two towers DVD screener, but when i burnt it and put it into my DVD player and my xbox i get an error that the region is invalid. I then tried to play it with power dvd on my PC and it gave me a message that it was region 1 compatible only. I have DVD X2 for my xbox so i am still able to watch the movie but i would rather try to remove the region check altogether so that i can watch it in my standalone dvd player. The problem is that when i open the ifo with ifo edit and select region free (after i copied the movie to the harddisk obviously :) ), it tells me that the DVD is already region free. Does anyone have any idea's on how to remove the region code? And what other ways are there to check the region of the DVD?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. mnmeater

mnmeater Member

You may have to load each ifo file and use the region free button. As for making it region free to play on your computer there is software out there that can help you, which will make your player on your computer region free. I don't remember where to find but if you do a search in afterdawn, you should find some information.

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

RMF,

Depends what you used to rip the DVD. I use Smartripper, which rips out the region encoding when transferring to the hard disc. I must admit, I'm not sure why it's still in Ifoedit, because I think DVD Decrypter does it as well.

HomerJ

4. RMF

RMF Regular member

mnmeater, you missunderstood me. My PC tells me that the DVD is region 1, but it plays it anyway. I then copied the movie to my HDD and tried to make it region free with IFOedit, but it said that it was already region free. I know that this is untrue because i then placed the movie in my standalone DVD player and got the invalid region error. I then put the DVD into my xbox which also gave me the invalid region error. I did manage to get it to play on my xbox by downloading DVD region X for my xbox, but this then only allows me to control the dvd by means of my control pad, and being the perfectionist that i am, i would rather not have to worry about crap like that, so my question is, if IFOedit is telling me that the DVD is already region free, then why the hell won't it play? Is there some other kind of DVD ripping tool that will allow me to remove the region check from the DVD or is there any other way that i can test that the DVD is region free after i have ripped it? Power DVD won't tell me what region it is at all now. It only did it the first time.

HomerJ - I didn't rip the movie myself, i downloaded the DVD screener from a friend. I will try to rip the movie again with DVD decryptor and see if that helps but i'd rather not waste another DVD if it's still going to give me the same problem.

Thanks for the replies.

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

RMF,

Take care putting the rigion 1 DVD in your PC DVD drive.

All DVD drives when new can play any region,, but, after a certain number of plays / changes (I think it's 5) the drive will "lock" to whatever the last region used was. YOu the can't ever "unlock" the drive.

Go into Windows device manager, and check the properties of the drive > DVD Region.

HomerJ

6. RMF

RMF Regular member

Can you select the region you want when you write an ISO to your HDD from a DVD with DVD decryptor? Or can you only make it region free?

7. RMF

RMF Regular member

I fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Homer, thanks for the warning about the DVD rom's region. I didn't know that.