1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rewriter Crashing PC

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by matt78, Jan 21, 2005.

1. matt78

matt78 Member

installed a Samsung Dual Layer TSH522 DVD rewriter last night. All seemed to be fine for 10-15 mins then the pc blue screened with a message about shutting down to avoid damage to the pc and physical memory dump. Disabled the new drive to check it wasn't coincidence but it's definitely the drive that's causing it. Checked all the connections and they are all ok. Got the latest firmware and it's still happening. Device shows as working properly in device manager. I've set it as the primary slave but I've left the CD Rom drive in as secondary master and the CD rewriter as secondary slave. Should that matter at all? Does it matter what socket you use on the IDE ribbon cable if you've set it as slave?

PC meets all system requirements and I'm using Windows XP. One other thing I've noticed which I thought was a bit odd was that after the new drive was installed on 'my computer' it showed as 'f drive - DVDRW' and then as a separate 'g drive - CDROM'. Tried disabling the G drive but that didn't seem to work either. Installed Pinnacle easy DVD with the drive.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi matt78, First off were you actually burning a dvd when you got the blue screen. If yes then I would think about a possible over heat problem. If not then I would think maybe something along the lines of a under-rated power supply. Next I would set the dvd burner as MASTER on the second IDE channel because of the amount of data and speed needed during a dvd burn. Ram should at least 512mb or more. You could also remove the cd rom since both the other drives can also read cds. If it works with 2 drives then its a good guess its the Power supply.

Jerry