1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD rip Problem?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by KeyLee19, Mar 16, 2010.

1. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

So I have the waterboy on DVD but the disk is scratched but luckily I had a backup burnt copy of the DVD. However, the problem is I can play the DVD in a dvd player fine and it runs perfect like the original dvd that is scratched.. however when I rip it to the computer with AnyDVD (it rips in shrunken size) since it was previously ripped with AnyDVD and shrank with DVD Shrink before... anyways when it rips the .VOB files are really choppy when played.. it skips tons and does not play at all like the real DVD.. even after converted to AVI with AGK and ran through AVI mux it still skips. What could be causing this?? Should I use a different ripper than AnyDVD seeing it happens after the burnt copy of the DVD is being ripped to the computer??

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Even though the DVD plays just fine, it might be a not so good burn, with read errors. Try rippig it with DVD Decrypter. If you have a different DVD drive, try using that(some are more sensitive to read errors than others).

3. davexnet

davexnet Active member

If the disk in question is already a backup, you don't need to decrypt it again.
    You should be able to just copy the Video_ts to the HDD using Windows Explorer,
    or similar.

Secondly a program such as Nero CD/DVD speed can analyse the media for errors
    and evaluate it's quality.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The reason why I suggested DVD Decrypter is because Windows might have problems reading the disc on it's own if it is a bad burn/scratched disc, whereas DVD Decrypter will ignore some read errors.

5. davexnet

davexnet Active member

The trouble is, if it ignores errors and skips blocks, what is the state of the
    HDD copy? Is it going to skip and cause the very problems described by the OP ?

Does DVD Decrypter tell you about the skipped blocks? I guess at a minimum,
    you should play the Video_ts folder once it's on the HDD to ascertain its condition.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I guess...At best, some partial skipping/blocking/pixelation...if it's really bad burn, the only way to fix it is to have the original...

7. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Now you've got to the crux of the problem...

8. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

DVD Decryptor fixed it. I guess when AnyDVD ripped it it was coming out somewhat messed up (skipping and such) Anydvd I guess was a little more picky as both disks weren't coming out well with AnyDVD.. on the burnt copy DVD Decryptor got it though with no skips.. I guess its just a little less picky at times? Thanks Cyprus