1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rip to vcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by d8rr4n, Nov 9, 2003.

1. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

hello all im wondering if anyone can help me. I have a few files on my pc which are dvd rips. And they are now avi files' but when i try to convert them to mpeg for vcd playback it all goes wrong. The picture is sometimes up side down and the scenes jump about every 5 seconds to the next one with a still picture. What do i need to solve this problem ive tryed differnt encoders but none seem to work. Im sorry if this has been posted b4 but im really new to all this and any help would be much appreciated thanks alot!!!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well We"ll need More info than That...Like What Encoders did you try and what was the Problem and what are the Specs of the File you are encodeing Meaning the Resolution, Frame Rate ,Codec, audio format and are you encodeing to NTSC or Pal??? There are Guides on this Forum and at www.dvdrhelp.com that will guide you through the Proscess....Cheers

3. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

the converters i used were 1 i bought from a comp fair the others were ezconverter'win mpeg video convert'fx video converter'super dvd creator' and thats just a few the list goes on and on lol.My problem is when its finished converting its nothink like the avi file i was converting in the first place the picture is sometimes upside down and very jumpy and freezes from time to time.Im not sure of the frame rate or the codec all i know is i installed nemo codecs pack on the pc and they play most of my movies lol.Audio format i havent a clue and i am encoding the file so its playback is pal.thanks for the info by the way ill check it out cheers!!

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well All the Encoders you mentioned are Total Crap, actually Most encoders are Crap especially when you are encodeing Low Bitrate Files Like VCD and SVCD files...You Chould try something like Tmpgenc(www.tmpgenc.net), It is Fairly easy to use and Produces High Quality VCD"s and is 100% Free for Mpeg1 VCD Encodeing But the Mpeg2 encodeing runs out in a Month..You can find out a Lot of the Info about your File By Just Right clicking it and going to Properties..That should Give you the Resolution ,Frame rate, Codec and audio Format...And you should Know all this Stuff Cuz it effects how you will convert your Files to VCD...If your AVI files are 23.97fps or 29.97fps then they are NTSC files and if they are 25fps then they are Pal files, If you have NTSC Files you will not be able to properly Encode them to Pal VCD"s useing Most encoders because Most encoders do not do Proper Frame Rate conversions which Can result in Jumpy Playback and Sync Problems in the Finnished VCD...And you need to know the Audio Format because Not all encoders support every audio format so if the audio is of a Format not supported by the encoder you will have to extract the audio from the AVI file to a Format that the encoder does support like Wav format...There is a Lot of Information on this stuff at "www.dvdrhelp.com"..It takes quite a Bit of learning to get it down pact....cheers

5. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

Thanks alot mate i think i know were ive gone wrong the file ive got is a dvd rip and its not out on dvd in this country yet so it must be because its ntsc and im trying to encode it so it plays back on pal lol as a i said im really new to all this and youre help has been great i will tell all my freinds about this site its great thanks alot darren!!!!

6. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

Hello ive just checked that right click thing out and one of the files is 25 fps the video compression is divxmpg4 v3 and the audio is mpeg layer - 3 and another file says video compression is ms-mpeg4 v3 the frame rate is 14 frames/seconds the audio is mpeg layer-3 isnt there an encoder that can encode any file at all into mpeg 1 so it can be put on vcd????

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Well the 25fps File can easilly be encoded to Mpeg1/VCD but the 14.985fps file has a Really Low NTSC Frame rate so there isn"t much you can do with it, If you try to encode it to VCD the Playback will Be Very jumpy because to make turn 14.985fps into 25fps the encoder will have to come up with an extra 10 frames a second and it does this By duplicateing frames and duplicateing that Many Frame will result in really Jumpy Playback and Possible Sync Problems...Try going to www.tmpgenc.net and download Tmpgenc and see if it will load your 25fps File and try to encode it to VCD and if you have Problems Just post them here and we"ll try to help...Cheers

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Delete Me_X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  9. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

Hello i went to the above website what u told me about and i downloaded it it works great thanks alot i have 1 more problem though i have a few mpeg files whice are full movies and when i try to put them onto vcd the disc isnt big enough is there any way i can split the movie into 2 halfs?? so i can continue to use my vcd's?? i also got rid of that file which had very low fps.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most VCD"s will Have to Go on 2 CD-R"s...After encodeing the File you can cut it in Half with Tmpgenc by going to "File" to "mpeg Tools" to "Merge & Cut" and here you can cut the File into Parts but remember you have to set the Dropdown menu to "Video-CD" NOT "Mpeg1"...Cheers

11. d8rr4n

d8rr4n Member

Wow u really know youre stuff thanks alot !!!