1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ripping trouble "flicker"

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by swy00, Dec 5, 2004.

1. swy00

swy00 Member

hi, i have followed the instructions on
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm and wanted to rip a dvd onto my computer. When the whole process was done. I got two passes. The first pass was around 570Mb and the second around 100Mb. When i run my first pass in BS player, i get a flickering screen that is motionless. i.e the one frame that swiches between it and black picture. However, the sound plays correctly for the whole movie. If i run that same firstpass in windows media player, i get one frame with no flickering and the sounds works correctly.
    Any idea what i might have done wrong?
    Thnx in advance

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to Divx forum :)

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

the first pass is only a run made to gather information. how it will be encoded in the second pass is determined by the data in first. thats what we call variable bitrate.

the first pass is done at a constant quant, normally q2.
    and its only a blackscreen for faster process, unless you set the full quality (in xvid) you'll only get that black screen.

after the forst pass you run the second. select second pass (ext for divx ?) and set average bitrate or final size.