1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD rips too big

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ottoman, Aug 8, 2004.

1. ottoman

ottoman Guest

need help...i decrypted some DVDs using DVD Decrypter and ripped them to my hard drive but they are too large for burning on CDs or even DVDs (7.5 GB) How do i cut the size?

2. michigan

michigan Guest

Download DVD Shrink. Then use it to compress the movie so it will fit onto a DVD. But ---- please read through some of the forums, rules and the guides first.

Welcome to our little slice of the Internet

3. ottoman

ottoman Guest

Sorry

4. 2005

2005 Regular member

first of all... thats a hella big file size, for one re rip the immage and take out all the menus and extras. This will allow you to keep the compression ratio MUCH higher.

5. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

no need to re-rip........open the file with Dvdshrink.......this will give options to cut all that is not required

6. brobear

brobear Guest

With the 3.2 version of Shrink there are new quality settings. When a person is recording a large movie, you select these. It takes a little more time, but there are no compression problems.

Also, now one can edit in full backup. Just click on the extras to select; under compression choose still image. Leave only the menus and the movie on automatic. Then delete any sound tracks and subtitles not wanted. Now hit backup and record. That isn't in the guide yet, but that's how it works. Still image is different from still pictures. Don't mistake the 2. Still image is not in the older version.

7.5GB would be large for a movie only. However, with all the extras on the new movie DVDs, 7.5 is about the norm for a lot of them.

Other than the new options the most of the Shrink controls are in the guide. It's always a good idea to read the guide and follow it. The guide will explain about burning with Nero or Decrypter. I suggest Nero and you can download the trial from the Nero site. You can download the trial every 30 days as long as you like.

DVD Shrink is good freeware. There are several good retail transcoders to choose from to. You can check things out on the different threads. Shrink is a good starting program and with the guides and help on the forums a good choice for learning. Later you may want to do some trials. Several of the retail transcoders have trial downloads.

7. Tony216

Tony216 Guest

while we are in the topic of Shrink. What things should i delete for making my iso files fit in my dvd+r
    theres the main movie itself menus audios and extras
    the extras i delete but what else because if i delete the menus how am i gonna hit play movie or screenshots
    and if i delete the screenshots what would happen if i leave the menu to hit play but then go to screenshots and click on it with out screenshots in the dvd+r would it freeze or do nothing? and another question if i delete some of those features including the beginning movie advertisments would the audio keep on going and catch a different pace then the movie itself or would the audio know when the hell it should be played im confused. PLEASE help!!!

8. brobear

brobear Guest

With 3.2 (not 3.1) you can edit in full backup by inserting still image for files, under compression. click on extras to select. Under compression choose still image. Leave menus and movie with automatic compression. uncheck unwanted sound tracks and subtitles. You're ready to start recording. Editing in re author will delete menu function.

9. Tony216

Tony216 Guest

By unselecting some audio what am i aactually doing
    Am i taking out audio from the movie.
    if i am what is going to happen
    is the movie going to be on mute all the time?

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Anything you remove of any good size will lower compression. Down to the size of the disc recorded to, 4464 MB, the lower the compression the better the picture in most cases.

Older movies have only one track, which is what you're thinking about. Obviously you missed something or you haven't tried the program yet or read the guide. The new DVDs have multiple tracks. Some in multiple channel and some in stereo. You even have foreign languages and different subtitles. It only goes mute if you cut everything out. Read the guide and use common sense and you should come out okay. The guide covers just about everything except the new options I mentiioned. Just put the info together.

You just want to get rid of the extras. Keep the sound track you want, the menus, the main movie, and subtitles as needed. A lot of times one can end up with a DVD with little or no compression.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
  11. datageek

datageek Member

Some even have two titles - after shrink. Thanks brobear, I'll try the new features out. I tried to backup Open window and saw two titles and left one out. doh! But this was the first time seeing this - for me. Title 1 and title 8

12. brobear

brobear Guest

datageek
    You have the viewer to check out what is in the files. Did you forget to use it? Just click on the title to highlight (select) and play in the viewer. You can even click on the viewer to enlarge.

13. datageek

datageek Member

brobear
    No, I use the viewer and checked out both files - remember I'm a nu-bie and don't know what I'm doing. I've gone thru a spindle of - 50 -R's and this is the first coaster that I have made.
    Is this what they call a 2 layer movie? Oh it was Secret Window - not Open Window.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm not familiar with that movie. Sometimes they put a wide screen and full screen version on the same disk. Normally you only have one movie. So one does have to keep their eyes open. Most of the new factory DVDs are the dual layer. It doesn't take 2 titles to be dual layer. Note DVD-5 and 9 in the glossary.