1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rom and Drive Letter

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by kako2, Apr 10, 2004.

1. kako2

kako2 Member

I have my DVD Rom on my secondary controller cable as the master and a CD burner as the slave. However, it is listed as "E" drive for the dvd rom and "D" for the cd burner. After installing the software that came with the DVD rom it reconize's only the cd burner and not the dvd rom. Also, after manually adjusting the dvd software to reflect on the dvd rom, I can not play any dvd movies. Help!

2. kal

kal Member

first do you have a media player that plays dvd's and no not the drive (like asusdvd theirs a bunch of them cann't remember their names right now) but open up their properties-setting and make sure they show or have dvd mpegs checked activated cause if their not they won't play dvds

3. kal

kal Member

also what os are you using win 95,98,ME,2K,XP.in 98 well I think all 9x os's you cazn change any drive letters around except keep floppies A and B.and the main harddrive C but click on setting,control panel, system,device manager,cd-rom drives (don't worry it their no seperate listing for dvd drives)click on the drive you want to change just on left click though.then either right click and scroll down left click properties or go down to the bottom of device manager and left click properties.then when the panel that list the drive shows up click on setting scroll down to the start drive letter change it to what ever letter you want (not A,B,C, though) then change end drive letter to the same letter click ok a box will pop up saying that you need to restart your system before setting will take affect cannel it and check the drive letter setting for the other drive cd-burners drive make sure its not the same but I think windows would change it for you but cann't remember.anyways after you change the drive letter for the cd-burner click ok that message should reappear about needing to restart your system click ok. drive letters will be changed to what ever you wanted them to be once it reboots and won't change anything to those drive letter anymore until said drive that are assigned thoughs letter are removed from the system.

4. kako2

kako2 Member

I am using XP home edition. What is strange is when I first purchased this dvd drive and installed it, it worked fine for about a month. Then I upgraded my system to P4 2.4mhz, added more memory and changed my video card to one with 256k. After that the dvd drive does not recogize dvd movies, only cd's.

5. kal

kal Member

well one thing I've learned is most windows os'sdon't like upgrades of mother boards and processors its best to save all your info saved games and everything else thats not the os and that you don't have the cd or dvd for.Its almost always best to do clean installs saving the old info like I said then reformat the hard drive and then reinstall.I switched to a new motherboard and cpu several times and only once did it comeout ok by taking the current harddrive from the old motherboard and plugging it into the new motherboard its almost alway best to save what you need and reformat and reinstall.but I've only used 3.1,alittle of N.T. and mostly 95,98SE,ME,and 2K. 98SE,ME,and 2K.current and only messed alittle with XP.
    not sure but I say remove them and the dvd program and try reinstalling are do a fresh install cause if it work before something got changed and messed up in the process of the upgrading it sounds like to me.I know XP has a rollback feature but I don't think that would help if it only worked correctly before the upgrading.
    If it work for a while correctly after the upgrade and before you installed that last program then roll it back and try to reinstall that program or just remove that program.also on almost all dvd drive they only play dvd in their region code area united states-north america is one region europe is another japan asia is another mabye the region code got messed up.but Iam no expert so maybe someone else can give you some advice
    cause I know just enough to get by and maybe get myself out of trouble. but I've had dvd player for years know and never experienced what happening to you.
    And have had a pioneer dvd-r drive for a couple of years but haven't actually done a whole lot of dvd burning yet.