1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rom/burner drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rtrg, Aug 16, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

this is an open post for those who have issues playing home made dvds. I mean FINALIZED. My combo unit uses MINUS discs ONLY. 2 of my 3 towers played them well. The two towers displayed the "PLAYER MENU" showing the 4 players installed. The third did NOT detect the home made disc but DID play commercial dvds. I have no idea why. Since I am not very good at diagnosis, I decided to start over. I reloaded a fresh copy of XP. I then loaded the one and only codec that works with PLAYER 9 from COLE2K.net. Then I tested the installed dvd rom drive. NO GO still. I then tested every one of my rom drives and burners. Out of the 12 I have, the LAST one, a burner, was the only one that worked. Why I have no clue. I can only presume that MINUS discs are not commom. PLUS discs mut be. I think that the drives are made for PLUS or BOTH. This is NOT labled on the drive. That would be too easy. I know of no way to determine in advance if a given drive will work with these dvds.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

QUOTE: I can only presume that MINUS discs are not commom. PLUS discs mut be

It's the other way round,i'm suprised a websearch didn't reveal this to you it should've,the biggest clue music cd's are cd-r & bought movies dvd-rom,that aside in this day & age if any player can't play - or + regardless if mini or not then it's old as & is well over due for replacement & that goes for rw as well as for standalone dvd players i wouldn't waste my money