1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Rom does not see the disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Movilova, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Movilova

Movilova Guest

I have been getting the prolem that the Rom does not see the disk, but it plays 100% on a standalone.??????

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Can you be a bit more specific? e.g.
    1) Are you talking about originals or copies?
    2) If they are copies, were they burnt on the same pc?
    3) Did you check them on other pcs?

3. Movilova

Movilova Guest

They are "originals". the cover has a huge big 9 on it does this mean anything?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

O.K., so when you say the rom does not 'see' the disk, do you mean the pc does not even recognize that a disk has been inserted, or that the media player program cannot play it? If it is the latter, which program are you using?

5. Movilova

Movilova Guest

using any program eg. Shrink, clonedvd ... It says no disk. It is as if the disk was not inserted.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Still not that clear, but let's give it a try:

1) If you have Nero (download the trial version if you don't), run Nero Startsmart, click 'get system info' and see if the various hardware and software setups are O.K..

2) Insert an UNPROTECTED disc into the drive and see if the said tool can recognize it.

We'll see what leads from there.

7. Movilova

Movilova Guest

I do have Nero6.6.00, however nero is not the problem. the problem is is that when inserting the disk, the computer does not see it at all. region 9

8. Movilova

Movilova Guest

Just done the nero thing system info and it does not see it.

9. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

which disc are you trying to read?

10. Movilova

Movilova Guest

Shark tail and EurOtrip, I think it has something to do with With the region 9.

11. Movilova

Movilova Guest

I can copy any other disks fine just the ones with 9 on it the pc does not read it.

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

O.K., first of all, to the best of my knowledge, there are regions 1-8, but no region 9. So when you say 'region 9', is it the pc telling you that, or you're just referring to the letter '9' being printed on the DVD?
    Second of all, have you tried Decrypter? It handles ripping better than Shrink.

13. Movilova

Movilova Guest

The "9" is printed on the cover, I have also just noticed that my DVD-ROM does not see NTSC ? is there a way to change the setting for my rom?

14. brobear

brobear Guest

There are only 8 regions. [​IMG]
    NTSC is the standard in the US and PAL is used in Europe. The drive can be selected in the Device manager and the region checked and changed if necessary. Any time a person is using a disc from outside their region, they should use software to correct the problem and not change the region setting on the hardware (after a few times the hardware becomes locked). AnyDVD and DVD Region Free are a couple of good apps that will handle the problem. AnyDVD is the better decrypter, so I would choose that one. I own both, so I speak from a bit of knowledge of both programs.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

In case I left you wondering, Region 7 is reserved and 8 is for international venues such as ships and airplanes.

16. Movilova

Movilova Guest

I understand exactly what you are saying, however i dont think you know what i mean. it does not matter what softeware I use the PC does not see the disk. even when going to "my computer" it does not see the disk???.....

17. brochini

brochini Member

First try to download ANYDVD. Get to the Properties of your dvd/cd rom drive; select Auto Play; Activate prompt me each time to choose an action. Now load your dvd, and hope ANYDVD will sense it and provide information of what type of dvd and or decryption you got.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

If the computer isn't recognizing the drive, then the software is irrelevant. Go into the Device Manager and reinstall the drivers for the drives, disable the drives and reboot the system. That way your OS should pick up and recognize your drives. This is a common fix for this particular problem. It's not guaranteed, but it hurts nothing and is one of the steps in checking out the system.

19. killalot

killalot Active member

What make is your dvd rom ? Are you from the uk Movilova ? how do you know your dvd rom doesn"t read ntsc disks ? like scf_au said there isn"t a region 9 if the disk is ntsc its more then likely from the USA which is region 1. If your computer cant see the disk at all its got nothing to do with what region your player is set at. My dvd rom is set at region 2 ive just inserted Mission Impossible 2 which is region 1 ntsc i ran power dvd went to play it it said the dvd is region 1 current dvd is set at region 2 do i want to change player to region 1. I can view the disk in my computer with out changing to region 1 have you got any other ntsc disks you can try ? update your graphics card driver and your chipset drivers what OS are you running xp win 98 ?

20. brobear

brobear Guest

killalot
    Thanks for reenforcing what I said. Although some of what you posted wasn't needed if my suggestions were followed. A good software app like the ones I mentioned will simulate drives as necessary to play discs encoded for other regions. That's why I didn't go into detail on the NTSC (North America) and PAL (European) types.

Unless this is an antique, the current drivers should be adequate to recognize the drive if the PC worked before, that is if they're installed properly. I agree though that it is a good idea to keep all drivers up to date for optimal operation.

If my first suggestion doesn't do the trick, then some info on the system will be the next step. Brand and model PC, CPU type and speed, RAM, hard drive size and free space, drive brands and configuration, and OS are always good to know when doing PC diagnosis.