1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-rom drive tray won't open after playing games

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by gregd548, Apr 27, 2008.

1. gregd548

gregd548 Member

Neither my Sony dvd burner nor my hitachi dvd-rom drive trays open after using most game disks. I have to reboot and then hit the open button as soon as the machine starts booting-up, at which time the tray opens fine. They don't do this with every disk, just most of them, especially Microsoft and Ubisoft games. Any clues how to correct this? It's really frustrating!

Thanks!!

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

the games are most likely locking the drives!
    happens all the time......or it sounds like a driver issue because both drives are involved....probably one of the IDE channels has botched up!! (if you have a sata setup then ignore my directions in RED)

try uninstalling the drivers for the drive!

BOOT INTO SAFE MODE (JUST DO IT!!)
    1)Start>My computer> right click >properties
    2)hardware tab
    3)device manager
    4)CD-ROM/DVD drives (names will differ) right click uninstall drive

now that the driver is uninstalled reboot the computer! BUT DONT reinstall the drive upon login!!! go back to the device manger and uninstall the IDE channel that is connected to the drive aka the one that is listed as secondary (primary is for the hard drive)!

then....

5) reboot into windows
    6)upon login you will prompted to install new hardware if not go start>control panel> > "Printers and other hardware" >left hand corner "Add hardware", or you might just select the option "Add Hardware" from the control panel directly!
    once done you may reboot or not

best of luck and please post back the results!
    -tripplite