1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DvD ROM DRIVE

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by thebandit, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebandit

thebandit Member

What is the fastest DvD ROM Drive for duplicating DvDs is there any that will keep up at 8x speed?

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I think 16x is the fastest read speed for a DVD-ROM.
    I would worry more about your CPU keeping up with the load of of encoding the disc. It takes a all my CPU power for 20 minutes to encode a DVD. I do not burn at 8x because it is to risky and it only takes 15 minutes to burn at 4x. You won't save that much time so why risk a coaster.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*moved to appropriate forum*

One of the best drives for ripping is the Lite-On 166S or 167T though you'll most likely never hit 16X. The fastest I've seen with my 166S is 14XS on a single layer movie.

Here's a link to some speed tests I did with my Lite-On 166S and Plaextor PX-708A:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/107206

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Thanks, I haved a copy of Nero, but I have never used it. I did not know about the speed test. I checked my ROM and burner. Both are rated to read at 16x, but fall short.

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E
    Transfer Rate
    Average 4.72x
    Start 2.62x
    End 6.30x
    HL-DT-ST DVD DL+R/+R/+RW GRA-4120B
    Transfer Rate
    Average 7.71x
    Start 4.27x
    End 10.29x
    Well the burner is not to bad. These result were with a 4.36 GB DVD. Still, I think most of the time spent ripping is encoding with higher compressions.

5. Nephilim

Ripping and encoding are two separate processes which are timed separately.

The times you posted aren't bad at all. Keep in mind that even though many ROMs are rated at 16X you'll almost never see that speed in practice :)

6. thebandit

thebandit Member

Is anyone duplicating at 8x speed on the fly, if so what is the name of the drive? I dont need to know about ripping or encoding as I know about this already.

Thanks Guys

7. Nephilim

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  8. thebandit

thebandit Member

Yes a nice straight forward answer yet again, is that because you dont know the answer?
    Lets all continue ripping onto the hard drive and writing at 2x speed. What ever is the matter with you? Never heard of giving it a go! after all it is only people like me that will give it a go, and people like you that follow. We are the type who are prepared to have a few coasters so we can tell people like you after we have had a few coasters. Lets all continue ripping onto the hard drive and writing at 2x speed off the hard drive.

Ps

Just in case you didnt know there are 16x writers out there and 8x discs. All I need to know is IS THERE A 8X SPEED DVD ROM THAT WILL KEEP UP AT 8X ON THE FLY.

just remember some of us are followers and some of us are leaders.

9. Nephilim

Well you're a little smartass aren't you?

Since you could've figured this one out on your own had you searched our forums I'll explain it for you Mr. "Fearless Leader".

Even at 4X there's too much that hangs in the balance when doing an OTF DVD burn due to the sheer amount of data that needs to be transferred without interruption to guarantee consistently good burns. The "lossless linking" feature for DVD burners isn't worth a crap when doing DVD video. If the buffer empties and the burn gets interrupted you might as well toss the disc.

OTF with DVDs is a whole different story then OTF with CDs, Einstein.

That's funny :) Closer to the truth is it's morons like you that will give it a go and people like me that stick with what works.

Oh that's brilliant. So you're pile of coasters against my zero coasters is going to prove what exactly?

Wow! Really? Gee thanks for telling me something I know.

No. Happy now?

Hmmmm, thanks for clueing me in. I'll keep that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.