1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-rom - JLMS XJ 166s - suddenly not working

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by anesthea, Nov 27, 2004.

1. anesthea

anesthea Member

I'm running Windows 2000 and have a LiteOn JLMS XJ-HD 166S 16x/48x dvd-rom drive that has suddenly stopped working. It won't recognize any discs (cd, dvd, or otherwise), but there doesn't seem to be a problem with my computer recognizing the drive itself (I get a continuous error: "No disc inserted" etc). I use CyberLink Power DVD 4 and I ran a diagnostic on the dvd-rom via that program. I also installed what I think may have been a driver update from the JLMS website, as well as a patch from the CyberLink site. I even tried to use a cd-rom lens cleaner - it wouldn't even recognize that. I'm stumped! Is there anything else I can do (other drivers, other diagnostics, anything?) besides trash the thing? It's only a year old. I hate to fork out the money for another one already. Ugh.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try this:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

3. anesthea

anesthea Member

I did both of the things you suggested and am having the same problem as before. Ugh. But, thanks for your help. I appreciate it. :)

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried the drive in another PC?

I've a 166S as well that I've used heavily for the last two years and it's still going strong.

5. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

You could always try a firmware update.
    Go here to get MtkFlash:
    http://dhc014.rpc1.org/howto.htm#Download
    You don't necessarily need a bootable flasher, but I definitely recommend it. You also should make sure to get v1.55, as it seems to work better than the new one.
    Then get the binary firmware (.bin file) from here:
    http://digi.rpc1.org/binaries.php
    It's under the column "xj-hd/ltd166s"
    As for the MS-DOS boot disk, I know that atleast in XP, when you open the disk format dialogue, you get a checkbox for "Make MS-DOS boot disk." You check that, then format it. Put the mtkflash.exe file on the floppy, along with a copy of the firmware .bin, and then write down the name of the .bin and reboot. I would print out the instructions for flashing and backing up before attempting as well.
    I had to find this out because I've got a rebadged LiteOn 166S that says StarLogic on it, but I flashed the new DS1E firmware using this method and now it [bold]can[/bold] read +R and just works better.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  6. anesthea

anesthea Member

i'm sorry. i have no idea what you are talking about. could you break that down into simpler terms for me? or give a little more info? if this is some sort of backup thing, will it overwrite anything on the harddrive or will this just do something to the drive itself? i'm confused.

7. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Sorry for being confusing :)
    MtkFlash is a bootable drive firmware flasher. It will only rewrite the firmware that is stored in the drive's flash memory. The firmware is basically what the drive uses to operate. If it has none or if it is corrupted, then it will behave oddly. I would normally recommend backing up your current firmware, but it seems that it wouldn't really do any good, seeing as how it is probably screwed up anyway. All you have to do is make an MS-DOS boot floppy, download the MtkFlash program (I recommend 1.55 as this one worked on mine), then download 'DS1E' from the link I gave you (make sure it's under xj-hd/ltd166s). Then put both MtkFlash.exe and DS1E.BIN on the floppy with MS-DOS. Then you can basically follow this guide here: http://digi.rpc1.org/mtkflash.htm. Just use the commands given to reflash your firmware (and backup firmware if you want). You may have to change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from floppy before HD. I can't go into specifics on that right now as I cannot see my BIOS but I will give details at a later time.
    I hope you are not confused with this ;)

8. anesthea

anesthea Member

Ok. On the binary firmware...

On the site you linked:

In the column "xj-hd/ltd166s" there are a number of links listed (DS0B DS0E, etc). Do I download all of them or is there a specific one I need?

Sorry to be so much trouble. I do appreciate your help and effort on this!

Thanks!

9. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I would recommend to get the newest one, the one called "DS1E," as I stated before. If it doesn't work then try an older one, but it should work just fine.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  10. anesthea

anesthea Member

I flashed the drive, but I'm still having the same problems as before. I'm stumped.

Thanks for all of your help and instructions. ^_^

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is there an exclamation mark in device manager??

12. anesthea

anesthea Member

no, there isn't.

13. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Well that would imply that it is working properly. This is getting odd, I would think by now we've eliminated all possibilities.
    Sorry the flashing didn't work.

14. ddp

have you tried what Nephilim suggested in trying drive in another pc

15. anesthea

anesthea Member

I don't have another pc to put in into. I opened the tower up this evening again and re-checked my connections. No problems there that I could find. Except maybe that the drive makes a little more noise now when it tries to work. It's like the drive knows there's a cd or dvd in there and knows that it's supposed to be doing something but it just can't do it.

16. ddp

is cd/dvd burner on primary or secondary cable, if secondary, is it single or with another drive & what is jumper settings for drives

17. anesthea

anesthea Member

the dvd-rom is the master on the secondary IDE. my cd-rom/burner is the slave on the secondary IDE. my harddrive is on the primary IDE.

18. ddp

put cd burner as slave to hd to see if any change to dvdrom drive

19. anesthea

anesthea Member

i tried to do that and screwed things up. i've got things back to normal except now the green light on my floppy drive stays on even without a disk in there. erk!

is there a diagram available to show the IDE's and stuff and their connection order?

edit: crap! now my dvd-drive isn't showing up. i have really messed things up. help!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  20. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

You may have to adjust the jumpers on each drive to make sure they have a master and slave on both.