1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Rom Problem

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Tim8806, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Tim8806

Tim8806 Member

I just bought a dvd-rom from newegg the other day. I got it today hooked it up and my computer isn't recognizing it. It didn't come with a software disk and i can't find the drivers on the internet, what should i do?

Here is the link to the dvd-rom i bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136125

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

How did you connect it to your computer? Is it on the same ribbon cable as another drive? If so, you have to make sure the jumper configuration is correct.

Final question. Why would you get something that does absolutely nothing except take up room in your computer?

3. Tim8806

Tim8806 Member

Yes the ribbon is connected to my DVD-RW drive as well. And i got it because i just needed a DVD-Rom to replace my old one because it quit on me. I was worried about buying another DVD-RW drive because i'm not sure if they would work together properly.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did you make sure that you set the new drive as a slave, if the one you have in there already is set to master?

In short, you need to make sure that the master/slave configuration of the drives is set properly, or the second one won't be seen by the computer.

5. Tim8806

Tim8806 Member

I honestly have no idea what all that means or how to set it. But i'm pretty sure the RW drive was set as the slave because it was installed later. Then my original DVD-Rom stopped working so i just unplugged the cords from it and put my new one in. My friend told me to check for drivers and update, but i can't find any for it.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to get someone, who knows about putting in two optical drives, to help you. Once you see how it is done, it will be a piece of cake for you, the next time you have to do it.

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Yep sounds like your jumper settings for your new DVD drive are set incorrectly.
    Read your manual on setting the Jumpers. One drive needs to be a master and the other a slave, they can't be the same.