1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rom Reads CDs But not DVDs.....

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by shadowbla, Jul 20, 2004.

1. shadowbla

shadowbla Member

Hello, I have a Creative 5233E-N CD/DVD Reader. I recently just moved it out of my other computer and into this one. It read DVDs on the other computer with no problems at all, but now it will only read CDs and not DVDs. Please help!

2. gersen

gersen Member

I have a similar problem. I've been using a Sony DVD-ROM CRX820E to read/write CD-R's without problems (Win 2K). Now I've been trying with DVD. The drive could read the DVD Videos (2 manufacturer bought ones) initially, I could access the disc, but I had to install a DVD decoder (PowerDVD). After that it worked fine until I rebooted. Now the drive still reads CD-R and audio CD, but does not recognize a DVD disc. When I insert a disc it grunts for a while, then stops.
    I checked /reinstalled drivers etc. but everything seems to work OK.

A strange (?) thing that's happening is that after inserting a DVD, when I go to the system / hardware / device manager / DVD-CDROM tab, either it does no longer show the Advanced Settings Tab where I can set the DVD region code, OR it still does show the tab, but gives erroneous data (wrong region, wrong number of allowed changes of settings). Once I remove the DVD and close the drive, it goes back to normal.

Does anybody have an idea what's the problem? I'd appreciate any posting. I'm far from an expert, but I have the feeling the problem is not with the drive or the drivers (cdrom.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.dll), but I don't know where to look for an answer.

3. hawkeyes

hawkeyes Member

I have the same problem with my Samsung SD-616T DVD-ROM drive. Does anyone know of any solutions??

4. steve1386

steve1386 Guest

Same here guys with my Samsung SD-616T DVD-ROM drive, would it be anything to do with AOL?A friend of mine seems to think it may be..

steve.........

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member