1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD ROM to DVD Video

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by dwcdv, Apr 17, 2006.

1. dwcdv

dwcdv Member

Hi everybody!

I just joined and have 2 questions already:
    I bought a lot of video tutorials which were in DVD video format (VOB files) and I could play them when I was travelling. Now they changed the DVDs to DVD ROM and I can't play them in my portable DVD player anymore. I tried DVD shrink, it can't read the file.
    Any other software?
    Also I have tutor CDs, which are in mov files, I have a hard time converting them, if I convert them to AVI, I get from the CD 3 DVDs!
    There must be an easier way...?
    Thanks in advance

Dorian

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

I don't get it. All store bought pressed DVDs are DVD-ROM. All the ROM in DVD-ROM means is Read Only Memory. Can't write on them. Maybe you mean they changed them to data DVDs for PC instead of DVD video?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  3. dwcdv

dwcdv Member

Exactly, before they were called DVD Video, which I can play in my portable DVD player and now they are called DVD ROM, which play only in the computer.

I really don't know what the difference is...are the files the same? Then only the startup is different?

Dorian

4. dwcdv

dwcdv Member

Sorry, I was mistaken, I was a little bit confused with the writing on the disk. The ones that have DVD ROM written on, also play on my DVD player, but the new ones also have DVD ROM written, and they don't play anymore. I just opened it and saw, that there are now all files in Quicktime (.mov) That brings me back to my 2nd question how to convert the .mov files? I would like to convert them to MPEG 4, but my DVD player also can not playback MPEG 4.
    And avi gets so big.

Dorian

5. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

MOV files can be re-encoded to Mpeg-2 with TMPGEnc. After doing that you can put them onto DVD. Not exactly an easy solution, but certainly doable.

6. dwcdv

dwcdv Member

Thank you Jigen