1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW change format

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by devlinne, Apr 4, 2012.

1. devlinne

devlinne Member

hi. i have a HP PC running Vista Basic.

i inserted a blank dvd-rw into the disc drive, and i got a messagebox prompting me to insert a label and to choose between "live file system" and "mastered". i chose the "live file system" format. however, the entire process took too long to finish (around an hour and a half), so i cancelled the entire thing, and tried to eject the disc. i encountered some problems with ejecting the disc, but i got it resolved eventually.

now, i noticed the dvd-rw disc was used (the tell-tale burn rings), and i tried to format it using the Windows Format command (right-click, format...) but it gave me another message that formatting may take some time, and needless to say, i'm concerned that it will take too long again.

so, i'm thinking that my dvd-rw disc was corrupted when i canceled the inital formatting, and i was wondering if there is an easy (fast) way to change the formatting of the disc back to it's former condition. what i really wanted to do was to copy some files to the disc so i can have a backup. i'm thinking i'd rather be using ImgBurn now instead of the native Vista burn feature.

any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

ImgBurn duration ~17 minutes for a DVD-RW, full erase.
    The only time to use that is if a disk problem is indicated.
    In a normal burning session you would be advised that the disk wasn't empty and a quick erase would be performed automatically before the burn.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Formatting needs only be done once & DOES take a while after which quick erase is all that's needed.
    you have 4 options
    1- go buy a pre-formatted disc you won't have to wait
    2- attempt a reformat with imgburn or some other program & do it properly
    3- Use DVD-R instead
    4- DVD! they still making them? go buy an external hdd get two i'll have the other one :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012