1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW drive changes to CD-Rom drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mizsophia, Oct 10, 2004.

1. mizsophia

mizsophia Member

I have a COMPAQ laptop Pentium 3 with separate internal cd-rw and dvd-rom drives. I tried 3 different brands of a USB 2.0 external DVD-RW writer connected via an adapter card and many different software writing programs. When I install the writer, the XP found hardware wizard states it found a dvdrw drive and also a cd-rom drive. My Computer shows it has a dvdrw drive however, when I insert media, it changes to a cd drive. It reads all media fine but despite the many different writing software programs, it won't write cds or dvds. Compaq can't help and my service contract won't since it is an external device. Circuit City spent several hours trying to solve it then gave up. I'm at my wits end. I know there is an answer. Can anyone help this ripper wannabe? Thanks for your time.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi mizsophia, have you checked the usb ports on your laptop to see if they are really USB 2 ports. If they are USB 1, they won't support dvd burning because USB 1 is too slow of a data transfer rate.

Jerry
    I was refering to check that they sold you the right adapter card.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004