1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+-RW drive suggestion

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by alphaex32, Apr 17, 2004.

1. alphaex32

alphaex32 Member

Alright, heres the situation: I have an old dvd-rw burner (philips D01) which came in a dell computer. Anyway, ive been having nothing but problems with the drive recently...every other dvd-r or cd-r is a coaster and when it does work, it is ridiculously slow. I think it is about time to upgrade, and I need some suggestions. I want an 8x DVD+-RW burner that I can eventually firmware upgrade for dual layer. Ive been contemplating over the Pioneer dvr-107 at newegg which seems to be a good price (will me existing mounting screws work with the new drive?). This is also an appealing choice because of everyone saying that firmware will allow it to burn dual layer.
    Btw, what is the difference between the 107 and 107d? The only thing I see is the 107d is beige on newegg (and I would prefer black to match my dell)

But, Ive also been looking at the I/O Magic IDVDRW8D which I can get for about $20 less than the pioneer and it has much faster cd-r burning speeds (40x)
    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=554889
    So, does anyone know if the I/O drive will be dual-layer upgradable? If so, it seems like a much better deal.

So, what should I do?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd go for the Pioneer at newegg, no question. Pioneer is known quality and well worth the $20 difference. There has been much talk of the 107 being able to burn dual layer with a firmware upgrade which the I/O Magic doesn't as far as I know.

The CD burn speeds wouldn't concern me much personally. The difference wouldn't amount to much anyway.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi alphaex32
    I have a I/O Magic 4X drive. These drives are Sanyo based with HD burn. They are known for media pickiness. Just search the forums on the Optorite DD0201 or DD0203. I/O Magic drives are either Optorite or a BTC drive. There are just as many reasons to own this drive as reasons not to own the drive. I would spend the extra $$ and buy the Pioneer
    I hope this helps