1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD RW Drive - wear and tear?????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by saul45, Dec 18, 2004.

1. saul45

saul45 Member

Hi!

I have been burning and ripping dvds for about a year with my dvdrw drive and havent really had any problems.

The last few months I have taken it a step further and have been creating menus etc. I often would take the mpeg2 from TMPGEnc straight from the DVD disc then start authoring.

All that was good...until very recently.

Now discs that used to work that I have made cannot even be read in my computer...the dvd drive thinks there is nothing there...also one I just created today, works great in my dvd player but put it in my computer to rip with DVD decrypter to back it up on hard drive and it struggles to read anything in the drive. Blank disc it realises straight away. Others it just cannot find anything. I use grade A quality DVDs so I know its not the discs.

ANYONE know why this might be happening? Does taking MPEG2 files off DVDs with TMPEGEnc slowly screw up your dvd drive? Do you think it just needs a good clean?....any help/advice would be really usefull as I will be running out to the store to get another one otherwise, and my bank is broken since its xmas.

Sorry for the long post. Reallly need some help and advice on this one though.

THANK IN ADVANCE GUYS!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

First of all, you diagnosed your problem, if you listen to yourself. You said the discs read on a standalone. That indicates the disc is still okay. They don't go good to bad just because of a player. You are obviously having a read problem from your PC. To save wear and tear on a burner drive, most people use a ROM to read and the burner to burn. Plus, you hit it on the head again, a dirty optical head in a drive can cause a problem. Clean it, you can get a cleaner at most stores like Wal Marts or Radio Shack. If after cleaning you still have a problem, you will need to check the software, interface, and the drive. The easiest way would be to use another drive, known to be good, to check the system.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

Decrypter isn't the app for copying. Use disc copy in your recording suite. Copies are already decrypted and sized, all they need is a copy program.

4. saul45

saul45 Member

thanks, heading out to get a cleaner now!