1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD + RW / Dvd-r component recorders

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PuckDaddy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. PuckDaddy

PuckDaddy Member

Yesterday afternoon I bought the Panasonice DMRE50s DvD-R/DVD-RAM recorder and played with it about an hour and got really frustrated, so i wen out a little later and .............
    bought a DVD+RW recorder (Philips DVDr75) and played with and am still playing with it.
    The Panasonic is now back at Circuit City and the Philips DVD+RW is currently recording a movie of HBO.
    THE WINNER : DVD+RW
    DVD+RW (imo) should be the future format. the are tons of reasons why. "DVDplusRW.org" is a great site regarding all that is recordable dvd media, and states very clearly why DVD+RW is the better of the 2.
    +With DVD+RW you can ...........
    +name titles
    +give title custom index thumbnail
    +split titles (say its a concert, you can break down each song)
    +THERE IS NO NEED TO FINALIZE THE DISK
    +you can resume recording anywhere on the disk
    +make edits ANYWHERE on the disk ANyTIME
    +record times in 1, 2, 2.5, 4, 6 and even 8 hour incremements.
    etc.etc.........

so if you are new to DVD recorders for your HOME THEATER, I STRONGLY SUGGEST GIVING DVD+RW a good look.

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I use the -R format and have no complaints.

I would say that the +R is like Betamax and -R is like VHS. In every way Beta is better except for one, price. And that is likely what will win the battle for the -R format.

I pay about 1/3 to 1/4 the price for my media than I would if I was using +R.