1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW & DVD-ROM on same IDE chain?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by clueless1, Jan 5, 2004.

1. clueless1

clueless1 Member

Hi..
    I wanted the peoples opinion on this..
    will on the fly burns go faster if the source and burner are on two seperate IDE chains? I'm going to build a pc soley for the use of burning.. and i want to do on the fly burns rather then copying to the hdd, and i read that it's slow and not effeciant to have two optical drives on the same chain.. that true?

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya clueless1,

you are BEGGING for trouble if you put a reader and writer on the same IDE channel, and then try to copy on-the-fly...

Please, let me persuade you to have the writer on ITS OWN CHANNEL.

Please, DON'T do on-the-fly copying (even using seperate channels).

OK, you may save a few minutes, but you run the GREATLY increased risk of creating faulty copies.

Yeah, yeah, I know - there are going to be some people who will tell you that they have been doing on-the-fly copies for AGES and it has ALWAYS worked PERFECTLY and so on and so on....

Read about media faults, burning faults with on-the-fly, buffer-protection that doesn't protect, and even on-the-fly copies that seem to burn ok and verify ok BUT DON'T WORK PROPERLY.

Just my advice, you go the way you want to...

Have Fun...

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

just to add to drchips, you also cant burn on the fly if the source is an original (encrypted) dvd.