1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+RW not rewritable anymore...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nik592, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nik592

nik592 Member

I promise I've searched but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. Which surprises me cause I would think it'd be obvious. It's kind of nagging at me that I should know the answer, but I just can't remember for certain.

Anyway. My problem is a DVD+RW that is suddenly NOT a DVD+RW according to my drive. I know my drive both reads and writes +RW - this DVD came in a 5 pack and the other 4 work just fine. I formatted it as a +RW on maybe the second use, and copied some stuff across. Now my burner won't read it, won't erase it, but Nero's disc info says that it IS a +RW. My other drive (a CD burner DVD ROM combo) will read the DVD but naturally can't erase as it's not a DVD writer.

I'm thinking probably the media's cactus, but I don't really want to buy another five if I don't have to. All I need is just the one, so I'd like to try and save it. I'm thinking the answer is something simple, but I just can't see it/remember it/find it. And if I'm just imagining a simple answer, is there any software (preferably freeware) that can help?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Anything would be appreciated. I'm running XP (SP2), Nero 6, with a Pioneer DVR108 (Writer) and Liteon LTC-48161H combo drive. Thanks! :)

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Probably just something went wrong when you formatted and saved the last time. Which program did you use to erase or reformat the disc?

3. nik592

nik592 Member

InCD 4 - the one that packages with Nero. Same as I used for the other 4 in the pack. I'd be happy to erase and start again but it just won't let me. InCD (which gives you a couple of options in the right-click menu for the drive) won't give me the options to erase or reformat for the disc anymore and I can't erase it in Nero proper either. It's like it's been turned into a normal writable only DVD (except for Nero's disc info showing it as a DVD+RW), but I wouldn't think that was possible.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Try Alcohol 120%

5. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

First thing I'd try is burn a DVD movie on it. See if it warns you that burning will erase the contents on the disc etc..

If you really don't need floppy type access to the dvd I'd just uninstall InCD. I just use Nero Burning ROM and write my CDRW and DVDRW as CDR and DVDR that can be rewritten. It's a lot less hassle. It's faster too. Only real "disadvantage" is you can't copy and erase single files like a floppy but nothing's perfect. :)

6. nik592

nik592 Member

That's really how I'd prefer to use it, but I'll see how I go in writing to it normally, or using Alcohol. My thought is Nero more than likely won't burn anything to it because it recognises the disc is full already and doesn't recognise it's rewritable. But thanks - I'll see how I go!