1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+RW SCSI command

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jsmith11, Aug 15, 2003.

1. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

When I try to burn a movie to a Philips DVD+RW, nero goes through the caching of files then it checks the disk and aborts. It says something like SCSI command abort. I'm using a Pioneer 106. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2003
  2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I'm assuming this is an IDE drive......

Have you burned anything else before with this drive?
    Is the +RW disc blank already?
    Is the drive in DMA mode or PIO mode? Have you tried the other? (If you aren't sure what I mean then let me know.)

3. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

Yes, I've burned several others. The disk is blank. Not real familiar witht he whole RW thing. Do I have to format the disk before burning to it, and if I don't and try to burn on it, is it a coaster now? I've tried different disks and none of them work. I don't know what DMA or PIO is or how to change it. Thanks.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If it was new it should already be blank. I use Record Now and under tools there's an option to "Erase re-writable disc."
    It shouldn't be a coaster, so maybe look around Nero for something like that. (Or if somebody else uses Nero and knows, that'd be great.)

For the DMA settings, we came across another person with the Pioneer 106 who we needed to change it for. If you are using Windows 2000/XP the instructions are as follows:

OK, right click on "My Computer."
    Select Properties, Hardware, then Device Manager.
    Click the plus sign on "IDE ATA/ATAPI Contollers"
    Right click on "Secondary IDE Channel" and then properties, then advanced.

You'll need to know if your 106 is the master or slave. If master the device is 0. If slave then it's 1. Sometimes changing that setting from one to the other fixes stuff. It is what controlls the speed at which your drive communicates to the motherboard.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Install ASPI Layers as this is the most common cause of scsi errors

6. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

Yea, Nero does have erase rewritable, I tried that and it said disk is not rewriteable so it cannot be erased, is that one a coaster or are the settings you're saying to change going to fix it. I did succesfully erase a disk earlier, at least I think so, I havn't tried to burn on it again yet but it went fine. Earlier you asked if it was ide, I'm actually using it as an external through my USB 2 port. Now that you know what I should have told you in the first place, that it's external, should I still change the settings? Even though I can use DVD+R disks fine now, the changes won't affect that. When I installed it, it came as master. I also have a cdrw that came factory with my HP and a TDK CDRW I put in when I got the computer. I think the TDK is slave, I'm sure the factory one is master, but I also left the DVDRW a master. Could this be the prob? Sorry so long. Thanks for you help. Also, what are ASPI layers and how would I install them??

7. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Just got your PM, I wasn't able to get onto this site for the last few days.

Now, you say this drive is external using USB.... did the drive come factory with USB connections or does it go into a caddy to make it a USB drive? The reason I ask is some of the caddy models can't handle the data transfer rate.

Also, is the USB cable plugged into a USB 1.1 or 2.0 port? That would make a world of difference as well.

8. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

I bought an enclosure for the drive, so I made it an external. I seem to have pretty good luck burning dvd-r disks. I got the drive and the enclosure from avlogic.com. I'm looking at my receipt here it says ATECH USB 2.0 3.5\5.25 inch portable drive enclosure. I have it plugged into a USB 2.0. Also Oriphus was saying something about ASPI layers, is that something I should install?